Thread: My Grand Strategy

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default My Grand Strategy

Several of the ongoing threads have inspired me to capsulize what I think are the flaws of current U.S. grand strategy, and what I would propose.

Here are what I consider the flawed assumptions of our current strategy:

1. It assumes that spreading liberalism is feasible. (It's not just democracy. Illiberal democracies are possible).
    2. It assumes that we can succeed with half way measures, specifically without making major changes in our systems of rights and prerogatives, and without changing our petroleum addiction.
    3. The criterion is uses for identifying strategic partners is too narrow. We base partnership on whether another state pursues AQ rather than whether they tolerate the ideology of Islamic extremism.

So, my grand strategy has five components:

1. Disengage as much as possible from the Islamic world
    2. End our petroleum addiction
    3. Develop a list of partner and non-partner states based on whether they tolerate the ideology of Islamic extremism, not just whether they chase AQ. Obvisouly, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Pakistan and others would be non-parnters. End aid to, immigration from, and visas to the citizens of non-partners. Do not renew the visas of citizens of non-partherns.
    4. Approach cyberspace as a key battlefield. Currently, it is the ultimate "ungoverned space." Consider hosting web sites or transmitting information which advocates violence as a hostile act. Take action against it. In other words, don't allow the extremists to hide behind the importance we place on free speech and the transnational nature of information.
    5. Launch spoiling raids as necessary against hostile groups.
    Last edited by SteveMetz; 07-08-2007 at 08:04 PM.