Thread: Controversial article about parachute operations

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lastdingo View Post
    But what astonishes me is that here and in another forum a couple of days ago the people focused so much on the rooftop landing stuff and largely ignored the assertion that division-sized air assaults are quite illusionary.

I mean that this assertion is more worth a debate and that such a debate would be much more interesting.
    Lastdingo,

That may be true but remember that the U.S. dropped six infantry battalions, plus support, - three ranger battalions and a brigade combat team from the 82nd Airborne Division - in the Panama operation.

That the Panama operation might have been successful without a large airborne operation is irrelevant, I think. A large night mass tactical drop was the best way for a rapid buildup of combat power.

I didn't agree with about 90% of Meyer's article. The one part I did find interesting was his idea of small scale tactical airborne operations - something akin to fireforce operations, if you will. Most of the world isn't Rhodesia, so it won't be feasible in many areas. But then again it might in some. And rough terrain jump gear, unlike rooftop landings, is probably not beyond the capability of a basic parachutist.
    Last edited by Rifleman; 07-10-2007 at 11:42 AM.
    "Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper