Thread: Controversial article about parachute operations

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Default Controversial article about parachute operations

The following article is from Carlton Meyer's g2mil site:

http://www.g2mil.com/Fall2007.htm

Let me say up front that I don't agree with most of it; and many other things Meyer writes as well. But what I found intriguing was his assertion that small scale tactical parachute operations - sort of a fireforce type operation, I guess you could say - could be safer and more effective in some cases than landing large helicopters in hot LZs.

As for the whole thing about landing on top of buildings.....well, what's possible for an ODA is one thing, but obviously Meyer has never done a night mass tactical operation before.
    "Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper

I can't remember the details of Meyer, but he was a Reserve Marine corps Captain back in the early 90's. It would seem that he didn't learn much at The Basic School, and despite being provocative ideas, they fall short when meeting reality. As a case in point, I love how he says we should break the Rangers down into company-sized elements just so the battalion staff can be removed...Haha, that's the moment when I have to say, "Put that darn test tube pipe down buddy, before you hurt yourself."

Seems he is in league with Mike Sparks. Mentioning his name around these parts could easily get your tongue cut out.

I wouldn't call his work controversial, but rather...constipated.

Council Member

The amount of abject ignorance evident in that short piece is amazing. Meyer is clearly a leg of the worst sort. In any case, as an author he has zero credibility - he is known not just for writing assertively on things of which he has no knowledge, as in the piece linked above, but also for just plain ol' making stuff up to justify his position.
    Last edited by Jedburgh; 07-09-2007 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedburgh View Post
    The amount of abject ignorance evident in that short piece is amazing. Meyer is clearly a leg of the worst sort. In any case, as an author he has zero credibility - he is known not just for writing assertively on things of which he has no knowledge, as in the piece linked above, but also for just plain ol' making stuff up to justify his position.

Suggesting that steerable canopies allow roof toop landings is fantasy island stuff. While a couple of highly skilled ram air pilots can do such landings, they are a far cry from tactical assaults with steerable round canopies. Doing them at night would only add to the carnage. I made my very first night jump as a demonstration jump into a lighted dirt race track with a 40 foot fence and light poles all the way around it. It was small to me even though it was a quarter mile track. My canopy was round but it was far more maneuverable than an MC1-1 steerable. I cannot imagine trying to hit a rooftop, especially under combat conditions.

Tom

I remember seeing a similar article in Infantry Magazine years ago but cannot seem to find it. I think it was titled "US Airborne Forces Obsolete." Or something to that title.

Did find this article though: ARTICLE

The Airborne Division in 2010
    Lieutenant Colonel Richard D. Hooker Jr., US Army

For almost six decades US Army airborne forces have been key to worldwide US military operations. Usually manned at full strength, well equipped and well trained, flexible and adaptive airborne units have remained in demand even during times of downsizing and reduced funding.

Because of their unique capabilities, airborne troops will remain the centerpiece of the Army’s rapid reaction, strategic-intervention capability.
    Nevertheless, advanced technologies and new organizational concepts suggest that the airborne division must evolve to meet the challenges of 2010.

Council Member

Ahh! A Mike Sparks comment! Please make it stop, mom! I'll be good! Stop the pain!

Sparks is a mouthbreather of the highest order.
    "Speak English! said the Eaglet. "I don't know the meaning of half those long words, and what's more, I don't believe you do either!"

The Eaglet from Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by sgmgrumpy
    I remember seeing a similar article in Infantry Magazine years ago but cannot seem to find it. I think it was titled "US Airborne Forces Obsolete." Or something to that title....
    Archives for Infantry Magazine from 1982 through the present (with the exception of 2001) are available here for anyone with an AKO log-in. The archive isn't searchable, and I don't have the time to look through'em all for the article myself.......

Council Member

Default Leg pathfinders leading the way

When I read the critiques I initially thought the article couldn't be that bad, but after finishing it there was no doubt that the author is an idiot. When I read his last sentence, "
    Today's paratroopers are adrift, and need pathfinders to show them a meaningful role"
    , I was ready to grab this clown by the head and slam by knee into his face a few times, but the moment passed.

He has a warped view of history, we have a better air delivery capability now than we did during WWII, and we can definitely mitigate surface to air threats more effectively. Airborne assualts are generally short in duration, such as the airfield seizures in Grenada, Panama, and Western Iraq, so logistics isn't the huge concern he makes it out to be.

I just loved his comment about making only one Bn per Bde in the 82d ABN qualified, and the remainder Air Assault. First he doesn't understand the alert cycle, and second I would love to see his logistical plan for "rapidly" deploying the helicopters that are going to insert these 2 bns. That is assuming we can find an intermediate staging base within range of the helicopters, or perhaps this idiot thinks all helo's are air refuelable, or that opening a FARP is no major issue in a combat environment. Yes everyone in the 82d jumps because it builds espirit corp, and the guys and gals willing to go that extra step are generally better Soldiers. I'm beginning to think some Airborne Sergeant ran off with this clown's girlfriend, and I'm sure she is better off.

You guys already addressed the building top landings and his reference to the Golden Knights ability to execute precision landings, I about fell out of my chair when he compared the Golden Knights to most of us who are pretty happy just to hit the drop zone. The majority of the Army doesn't have the time to reach that level of airborne proficiency. Also this clown simply ignores the weather issues related to Airborne operations. Yea baby, 24/7 we can drop a platoon of paratroopers anywhere into the mountains of Afghanistan to reinforce anyone in duress regardless of the winds, ceiling, and of course the whole world is a drop zone. I'm sure we won't have 50% casualties on the jump if this great pathfinder leads the way. I would like to take him up on his proposals and actually see him demonstrate how we should do them.
    Last edited by Bill Moore; 07-09-2007 at 06:29 PM.