Thread: All matters Rhodesian / Rhodesia (merged thread)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by JMA View Post
    However, he makes the same mistake as many youngsters trying to make a name for themselves in haste whereby he uses the win/lose words too freely and fails to understand - yes I mean that - that soldiers at the tactical level can only refine and develop better and more effective theatre specific tactics and methods and have very little effect on strategy and policy.
    Absolutely. Gian provides two more examples of that. Once years ago in a Journal comment a National Guard Special Forces SGT said that Galula's Counterinsurgency Warfare helped him a lot when he was in Afghanistan. Gian jumped all over him about how it wasn't a good book. And in another case there was a Blog article (I think) about how the Marines were having their guys read West's The Village. Gian got upset because he didn't think that provided the proper historical depth and breadth.

I couldn't understand that. If a SGT on the spot said a book helped him, it is by definition of value. The Marines were recommending something that might help privates and SGTs do a better job, not write better papers in history class. Like you say, if it helps the people down low it is good even if it doesn't, in some people's view, properly address 'strategy'.

My vote for inclusion in the bag of clubs:

The Village by West.

(I don't mean to pick on Gian but he always make an impression and his name is easy to remember.)
    "We fight, get beat, rise, and fight again." Gen. Nathanael Greene

Council Member

Default McCuen Reprint

(PS: if anyone knows the heirs to the McCuen estate please prevail on them to get a reprint and a Kindle version as Amazon prices of $150 is outrageous.)
    Amazon and AbeBooks range from $135 to $250 used.

The McCuens did the reprint idea in 2005 with a small publisher, Hailer Publishing, in St. Petersberg, Florida. Hailer republished a number of rare military works, including McCuen. It was in business in Apr 2011 when I cited McCuen here at SWC, but has since gone defunct (its webpage is now a link to small self-publishing houses). Hailer's books were paperbacks, but used good scans of the originals - McCuen was about $15-20.

There probably are more used copies of McCuen floating around South Africa than in the US; as I ran into this in looking for Hailer and McCuen - Vigilantes: A contemporary form of repression (1989), which has these snips re: Beaufre (another one I've sponged up) and McCuen:

The explicit adoption of low intensity conflict strategy by South Africa's security establishment appears to fall into two phases. The adoption and implementation of the military establishment's current strategic blueprint coincided with the entrenchment of the influence of the military establishment through the accession to power of P W Botha and General Magnus Malan. This blueprint is a direct application of the military theories of the French General Andrew Beaufre. Beaufre, who was a general in the Algerian civil war, argued in his book 'Introduction to Strategy' for a military approach that acknowledged the existence of an extended battlefield. In Beaufre's theory, the battlefield must be extended to encompass all aspects of a civil society, particularly social and ideological spheres, such as the radio and the classroom. According to Beaufre, the proper concern of the military should be extended to co-ordinating all aspects of a civil society.

The dissolution of the boundaries between military and civil society as Beaufre proposed has now passed into South African political lexicon - 'total strategy' in response to 'total war'. The clearest adoption of Beaufre's recommendations, and equally the clearest expression of the influence of the military establishment in South African politics is the elaborate co-ordinating security structure known as the Joint Management Security System. It should be mentioned that a young South African lieutenant, Magnus Malan, served as a military observer in Algeria in the very regiments under the command of General Beaufre. Beaufre's book has long been prescribed reading at the South African Military Academy.

In the mid-1980s, South African strategists appeared to be swinging towards the more practical theories of Colonel J. J. McCuen, who developed his theories of counter-insurgency warfare in Vietnam. McCuen's writing belongs to the genre known as low intensity conflict theory. This school of thought is now dominant amongst United States counter-insurgency theories, particularly over the 'Westmoreland strategy' applied in Vietnam. General Westmoreland's approach to counter-insurgency was to make maximum military use of technologically superior resources and firepower to smash a third world enemy. The Westmoreland school believed in 'asphalting Vietnam'.
    In 1986 General Meiring, the former general of the South West Africa Territory Force, expressed his preference for McCuen's theories over the abstractions of Beaufre. They are more practical, more explicit on the particular 'hard war' steps such as the creation of counter-revolutionary groups, and 'soft war' (WHAM) steps including electrification of townships the military should undertake in its WHAM strategy. In late 1986, McCuen's theory had been precised to a 75-page document entitled 'The Art of Counter-Revolutionary Warfare' and distributed throughout the Management Security System.

What is apparent in McCuen's theory, and in the speeches of its South African proponents, is that the creation of a political solution requires not a commitment to political bargaining, not even top-down reform, but a bottom-up reconstruction of political forces. The move from total strategy to (active) low intensity conflict is the subtle move from controlling dissent to reorganising politics. Phillips and Swilling date the shift as occurring in 1985/6, the same time that vigilantes emerged.
    (footnotes omitted).

Mark, you have discussed Beaufre and McCuen before in the context of South African military education - so, I toss the ball back to you with a question: Did Beaufre and McCuen have any impact in Rhodesia; or was that too much earlier than their acceptance in South Africa ?

Regards

Mike

PS:

I get only one choice, and McCuen is taken; so, to continue the list:

1. The Art of Counter-Revolutionary War - John J McCuen - JMA

2. Street Without Joy by Bernard Fall - David

3. The Village by West - Carl

4. Callwell, Small Wars: Their Principles and Practice (Third Edition) - jmm99

5. .....

Default Trinquier....

Don't forget Roger Trinquier-Modern Warfare.

Council Member

Default Slap, We Won't Forget Him,

but do you want Roger Trinquier-Modern Warfare as your choice (one per customer) to the 14-club golf bag - aka subaltern's ruck ?

Be definite.

Regards

Mike

Yes, I would Trinquier to be read....it is a very how to do it book.

McCuen is the best especially for Americans but as you say it is taken. I have the Hailer edition sorry to hear the company went bad. I had an issues with the delivery of the book. Made 1 phone call and problem was solved at their expense.

How come davidfpro gets 11 clubs and all the rest just get 1.

McCuen also has the best overall concept as it is a Counter Revolution.......Counter Insurgency is a weird word to describe what is actually happening........ which is a Revolution and it's Counter. Just some extra free advice to clear things up for everyone.

Council Member

Default The List Grows

5. Roger Trinquier - Modern Warfare - Slapout9

6. ...

-----------------------------------------
    I'm following the "rules" set by JMA - it's his thread; his "command", as they say.

David was only being his usual helpful self; proving that a Sponge-David soaks up more than a Sponge-Mike. But, I ruthlessly kept only his first entry on his list.

Someone had to be "adjutant" for this list; anyone else wants it, they are welcome.

Regards

Mike

Banned

Thanks Mike, appreciate you taking care of the staff work on this one.

David please confirm that is your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by jmm99 View Post

5. Roger Trinquier - Modern Warfare - Slapout9

6. ...

-----------------------------------------
    I'm following the "rules" set by JMA - it's his thread; his "command", as they say.

David was only being his usual helpful self; proving that a Sponge-David soaks up more than a Sponge-Mike. But, I ruthlessly kept only his first entry on his list.

Someone had to be "adjutant" for this list; anyone else wants it, they are welcome.

Regards

Mike

Banned

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by slapout9 View Post
    Don't forget Roger Trinquier-Modern Warfare.
    Roger Trinquier - Modern Warfare.pdf