Quote Originally Posted by Jslade0 View Post
Howdy,

I'm doing a masters thesis on the idea of comparing Rhodesia's Training and Tactics to the current US. How did a little country with no resources manage to fight a COIN and train for a HIC fight so well, while the US appears to be only trying to train for one or the other.

From what I've gathered so far, the Rhodesians trained 70% of the time on force on force threats, fearing one of their many neighbors were going to eventually attack in force. So they trained for HIC, but practiced COIN, fairly successfully. (with almost every contact resulting in enemy killed).

Is my thesis wrong? Any ideas or suggestions for readings would be greatly appreciated.
I'm travelling at the moment so not on here every day but will certainly assist you where I can. In addition I am able to put you into contact with the (surviving) senior officers and men who were involved with policy relating to training in Rhodesia right up to the end. Due to age some are more willing than others to get involved with such commuications. Anyway, good luck with your project.

As you no doubt have noted from some of the comment below discussing this project here may be a mixed blessing. Just as you will be accussed of selecting the outcome before starting your project (as you already have been) you will find your critics may well have fixed positions on this matter and will not find any information forcing a rethink to be welcome.

I offer two quotes to deal with those who approach your task from this position:

‘Minds are like parachutes — they only function when open.’
and

A closed mind is not only closed to outside thoughts, it is often closed to itself as well. It is closed to new thoughts and anything that threatens the status quo. But if you can open the doors, maybe just a crack at first, the ideas that have been patiently waiting at your gates will flood in.

I suggest that you challenge these critics to explain their positions and not allow them to sit back and take pot-shots at your position/assertions/contentions. In other words push the boundaries.