Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SWJ and the book

...... and when you add in the idea of de-centralized warfare (from the book) what happens to small wars? Is it still in the genre of low intensity conflict or totally different? Is it possible small wars is a sub genre of low intensity conflict or is it totally unrelated?
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog
    Don't forget to duck Secret Squirrel
    The scholarship of teaching and learning results in equal hatred from latte leftists and cappuccino conservatives.
    All opinions are mine and may or may not reflect those of my employer depending on the chance it might affect funding, politics, or the setting of the sun. As such these are my opinions you can get your own.

I wouldn't really consider small wars per se to be part of LIC, but rather the reverse.

One reason I tend to prefer the term "small wars" is that it often reflects the overall level of a nation's commitment in terms of time and treasure to the conflict. Notice that I use "nation" in preference to "military" because that's the level of policy that is being discussed, IMO. It's still engaging all aspects of a nation's power, just at a lower (smaller) level than a full-scale war might. To me the term LIC is just too limiting, as it implies just the military side of things and tends to hint that somehow it isn't a war...which again to me sends up signals of "disposable" forces and objectives.

The commitment of Marines in Central America during the 1920s and the British colonial involvements over the years were questions of national policy and engaged many elements of both nations' political and military infrastructure. They were certainly wars (although with limited forces - the objectives weren't always as limited), but the overall commitment of time and treasure in comparison to other national activities was small.

I would hazard a guess that one reason the US has been so anxious to create new terms for this (LIC, MOOTW, alphabet soup....) has more to do with domestic political considerations (possibly including the fact that the use of the term "small war" might get some in Congress excited about needing a declaration of war) than it does actual utility. The resistance of some of the services to working with the State Department (and vice versa) may also play a role.
    "On the plains and mountains of the American West, the United States Army had once learned everything there was to learn about hit-and-run tactics and guerrilla warfare."
    T.R. Fehrenbach This Kind of War