Thread: Military Medicine Conference

Council Member

Default Military Medicine Conference

Hello,
    As part of my job at National Defense University, I help put on a monthly one- or two-day course on Transformation issues in the military. July's course is titled:

Military Medicine - Transformation

We have a great slate of speakers and we want to do right by them by publicizing this to as wide an audience as possible. We're focusing on head trauma (for instances there are some as-yet poorly understood effects from IEDs unrelated to overpressure), pain management, prosthetics, PTSD, and battlefield surgery. We have doctors with battlefield experience (OIF, OEF, Desert Shield/Storm), high-level policymakers, and high level commanders, so it promises to be a good conference.

I'm going to be trying to publicize this pretty widely on the web. If you know someone who might be interested, feel free to send this along. We have the finalized agenda but it hasn't been posted on our website yet - if you want a copy just send me an email and I'll send you one.

In cooperation with the Office of the Under Secretary of Defense for Forces Transformation and Resources (OUSD-P), the Center for Technology and National Security Policy is delighted to announce our upcoming seminar on Transforming National Security: Military Medicine – Transformation. The seminar will be held July 23-24, 2007 in Marshall Hall, Room 155, National Defense University, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, DC.

There is a tendency to identify “Transformation” solely with intelligence and weapons platforms. Battlefield medicine, however, is undergoing a transformation of its own. New technologies and practices are transforming every facet of military medicine, keeping more soldiers, marines, sailors and airmen alive. Transforming National Security: Military Medicine will trace the path of injured soldiers, while examining the impact new technology is having and can have in the near future. Highlighted presenters include:

Dr. David Chu - Undersecretary of Defense for Personnel and Readiness
    Ms. Ellen Embrey - Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense, Force Heath Protection and Readiness
    Major General Eric Schoomaker, MD - Commanding Officer, Walter Reed Army Medical Center
    Lt. Col. Chester Buckenmaier - Anesthesiologist, Walter Reed Hospital, recently featured in Newsweek

Please disseminate this invitation to your colleagues. Seating is limited and demand is expected to be high. No security clearance is necessary, however NDU has a strict non-attribution policy. To register or for more information, send us an email - please specify that you are interested in the July course. Registration will close on Thursday, July 19, 2007. There is no charge to attend this seminar. Directions to Ft McNair are available by clicking this link.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    Hello,
    As part of my job at National Defense University, I help put on a monthly one- or two-day course on Transformation issues in the military. July's course is titled:

Military Medicine - Transformation

We have a great slate of speakers and we want to do right by them by publicizing this to as wide an audience as possible. We're focusing on head trauma (for instances there are some as-yet poorly understood effects from IEDs unrelated to overpressure), pain management, prosthetics, PTSD, and battlefield surgery. We have doctors with battlefield experience (OIF, OEF, Desert Shield/Storm), high-level policymakers, and high level commanders, so it promises to be a good conference.

I'm going to be trying to publicize this pretty widely on the web. If you know someone who might be interested, feel free to send this along. We have the finalized agenda but it hasn't been posted on our website yet - if you want a copy just send me an email and I'll send you one.

In cooperation with the Office of the Under Secretary of Defense for Forces Transformation and Resources (OUSD-P), the Center for Technology and National Security Policy is delighted to announce our upcoming seminar on Transforming National Security: Military Medicine – Transformation. The seminar will be held July 23-24, 2007 in Marshall Hall, Room 155, National Defense University, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, DC.

There is a tendency to identify “Transformation” solely with intelligence and weapons platforms. Battlefield medicine, however, is undergoing a transformation of its own. New technologies and practices are transforming every facet of military medicine, keeping more soldiers, marines, sailors and airmen alive. Transforming National Security: Military Medicine will trace the path of injured soldiers, while examining the impact new technology is having and can have in the near future. Highlighted presenters include:

Dr. David Chu - Undersecretary of Defense for Personnel and Readiness
    Ms. Ellen Embrey - Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense, Force Heath Protection and Readiness
    Major General Eric Schoomaker, MD - Commanding Officer, Walter Reed Army Medical Center
    Lt. Col. Chester Buckenmaier - Anesthesiologist, Walter Reed Hospital, recently featured in Newsweek

Please disseminate this invitation to your colleagues. Seating is limited and demand is expected to be high. No security clearance is necessary, however NDU has a strict non-attribution policy. To register or for more information, send us an email - please specify that you are interested in the July course. Registration will close on Thursday, July 19, 2007. There is no charge to attend this seminar. Directions to Ft McNair are available by clicking this link.
    You work for Hans Binnendijhk?

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMetz View Post
    You work for Hans Binnendijk?
    Yup, although not directly.
    Last edited by Adrian; 07-12-2007 at 07:49 PM. Reason: spelling

Council Member

Registration deadline is coming up!

Official announcement on the NDU page