Thread: Counterinsurgency and Human Nature

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

"Strangely enough, this is exactly why I jumped on a chance to get a DC-10 cargo flight of soccer balls for Rwanda. The simple release of playing a game for the children--survivors or killers--offered some moments of sanity in an insane place.

Tom"

There are several relief and development organizations that have approached this in recent years. Vietnam Veterans of America Foundation (VVAF), my former NGO, implemented some successful soccer programs in the Balkans (honchoed by a former professional footballer) as reconciliation tools. This evolved into the Sports for Life program at VVAF, but it is now defunct. Very difficult to obtain institutional donor funding for such programs when there are other, more tangible lifesaving opportunities desperate for support.

I believe the "big dog" in this regard is called Right to Play, but I'm not sure. I bumped into a guy at a cocktail party during the holidays, and he was with some other not-for-profit taking this approach in the Occupied Territories, but can't remember their name.

I think these are worthy efforts, but tend toward treating the symptoms as opposed to the causes.

Cheers,
    Last edited by redbullets; 08-09-2007 at 06:39 PM.
    Joe

Just because you haven't been hit yet does NOT mean you're doing it right.

"In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist." President Dwight D. Eisenhower