Thread: USAWC 2007 Key Strategic Issues List

Council Member

Default USAWC 2007 Key Strategic Issues List

Posted on SSI 18 Jul 07: USAWC 2007 Key Strategic Issues List
    The purpose of the Key Strategic Issues List (KSIL) is to give researchers, whether military professionals or civilian scholars, a ready reference of those issues of particular interest to the Department of the Army and the Department of Defense. The focus of the KSIL is strategic, rather than operational or tactical. Every year, the KSIL helps guide research efforts to the mutual benefit of the defense community and individual researchers.

This year, our nation faces several major challenges, ranging in type from the conflict in Iraq to changes in force size and structure. These challenges are perhaps more significant than any the United States has faced in more than a decade.

With the publication of the 2007 KSIL, the Strategic Studies Institute and the U.S. Army War College invite all researchers to contribute their efforts to resolving these challenges.

Researchers are encouraged to contact any of the Strategic Studies Institute points of contact, or those found in the Expanded KSIL, for further information regarding their desired topics. These points of contact are not necessarily subject experts, but can recommend experts or additional
    sponsors.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedburgh View Post
    Posted on SSI 18 Jul 07: USAWC 2007 Key Strategic Issues List
    As one of the aforementioned points of contact in said document, let me emphasize that we are most certainly not necessarily subject experts.

Steve maybe you can answer a question?

As an academic .. Is it worth my time to answer questions that ARE within my area of expertise and as a University Professor at a research University will they pony up $$$. Or, more likely they've already picked people in areas and these are their issues projected to be answered.
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog
    Don't forget to duck Secret Squirrel
    The scholarship of teaching and learning results in equal hatred from latte leftists and cappuccino conservatives.
    All opinions are mine and may or may not reflect those of my employer depending on the chance it might affect funding, politics, or the setting of the sun. As such these are my opinions you can get your own.

Quote Originally Posted by selil View Post
    Steve maybe you can answer a question?

As an academic .. Is it worth my time to answer questions that ARE within my area of expertise and as a University Professor at a research University will they pony up $$$. Or, more likely they've already picked people in areas and these are their issues projected to be answered.

The list itself is just a compilation of things someone in the Army or the Joint community is interested in. The best venue for input would be our External Research Associates Program. We've commissioned projects from a wide number of people using that, including ones like Colin Gray and Martin van Creveld.

Hi Steve,

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMetz View Post
    The best venue for input would be our External Research Associates Program. We've commissioned projects from a wide number of people using that, including ones like Colin Gray and Martin van Creveld.
    I notice that the ERAP window is now closed for submissions "until sometime after November 2007".
    Sic Bisquitus Disintegrat...
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Institute of Interdisciplinary Studies,
    Senior Research Fellow,
    The Canadian Centre for Intelligence and Security Studies, NPSIA
    Carleton University
    http://marctyrrell.com/

Quote Originally Posted by marct View Post
    Hi Steve,
    I notice that the ERAP window is now closed for submissions "until sometime after November 2007".

I noticed too...
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog
    Don't forget to duck Secret Squirrel
    The scholarship of teaching and learning results in equal hatred from latte leftists and cappuccino conservatives.
    All opinions are mine and may or may not reflect those of my employer depending on the chance it might affect funding, politics, or the setting of the sun. As such these are my opinions you can get your own.