Thread: William S. Lind :collection (merged thread)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Page 12 Editors' Introduction of my book.

It is written as one word with a capitol E like this "Entscheidungsstelle" does that make a differance?

On page 187 of “Not mentioned in dispatches” Schwerpunkt is translated as ‘focus of energy’.

The equivalent of the German term Schwerpunkt, which translates as focal point, centre of gravity, thrust point, main effort etc; the centre of critical activity in an operation. This may be a place or, more likely, a part of one’s force, or an activity, or a combination of these. The focus of energy is where one applies one’s most important efforts in order to fulfil the mission, usually to maximise the effect one may create upon the enemy. The focus of energy is a concept for focussing one’s efforts on achieving concentration of strength against relative weakness, probably repeatedly at temporary focal points, conducive to maximising the physical and psychic power of one’s force relative to the enemy’s. Skilful focussing and refocusing can allow a materially weaker force to annihilate a stronger one by repeatedly achieving local superiority and by maximising the effects of manoeuvre.
    Nothing that results in human progress is achieved with unanimous consent. (Christopher Columbus)

All great truth passes through three stages: first it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
    (Arthur Schopenhauer)

ONWARD

Quote Originally Posted by slapout9 View Post
    Page 12 Editors' Introduction of my book.

It is written as one word with a capitol E like this "Entscheidungsstelle" does that make a differance?
    That's basically the same as "Entscheidende Stelle".

The word ist awkward and strange. Today's civilian would almost certainly prefer "Ort der Entscheidung"; "Entscheidungsstelle" sounds like taken from a management organigram. I've never read it before.

Council Member

Default Primarily for Fuchs

How does this article rate on the accurate-inaccurate scale re: German language, German military usage and German military history ?

Clausewitz's Schwerpunkt: mistranslated from German - Misunderstood in English, Military Review, Jan-Feb, 2007 by Milan Vego.

Regards

Mike

Default Surprised!!

This article in Marine Gazette surprised me greatly because of their "tongue in cheek" approach. See! Even today the "discussions" continue.
    http://www.mca-marines.org/gazette/a...nist-letters-3

Never put a lot of faith in most of the Gazette stuff, even being a Marine...but now I need to go back and find #1 and #2.

Quote Originally Posted by jmm99 View Post
    How does this article rate on the accurate-inaccurate scale re: German language, German military usage and German military history ?

Clausewitz's Schwerpunkt: mistranslated from German - Misunderstood in English, Military Review, Jan-Feb, 2007 by Milan Vego.
    That will take a while.

Default USMC Fundamentals Of Tactics Series 1998

Found this from 1998. Kind of an update of Wyly's fundamentals of tactics.

http://www.2ndbn5thmar.com/notes/FundTactics.pdf

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Thanks. This actually explains how a lot of the errors crept in! - but 1998 is kind of late. Weren't all the pamphlets in place by 1991?
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

Quote Originally Posted by William F. Owen View Post
    Thanks. This actually explains how a lot of the errors crept in! - but 1998 is kind of late. Weren't all the pamphlets in place by 1991?
    I am not sure of the time line, could very well have been since the book itself is from the late 1980's.

Default I sometimes … maybe... get a tad cynical

In a book by Winford Holland, “Red Zone Management: Changing the Rules for Pivotal Times”, the author states that there are six phases to any major project:
    1. Enthusiasm
    2. Disillusionment
    3. Panic & Hysteria
    4. Search for the Guilty
    5. Punishment of the innocent, and
    6. Praise and Honor for the non-participants
    Having watched many outstanding comrades go through phase 4 and 5, IMHO, because of the 1998 date, this is part of Phase 6. It is hard to tell for sure because of all the background noise of lips smacking upon butts.

Default Lost Boyd Tapes

I have seen and participated in a lot of debates concerning the Boyd Theory (Maneuver Warfare) on this blog. I have seen the Boyd briefings on two separate occasions (Amphibious Warfare School - 1981 and USMC Command and Staff College in 1989). When I sat through the first brief (Patterns of Conflict) I received a copy of the slides. Months later when I went through the slides again I realized that a major portion of the brief was missing. The missing part being the Boyd narrative…the Col would bark at you during the brief like an M-60 machine gun for over eight hours. I became convinced that in order to fully understand the brief you needed both the slides and the narrative.
    Realizing my mistake and returning to C&S, when I got to listen to Col Boyd for the second time, I taped the Col’s “Discourse on Winning and Losing” that contains his discussions on “Patterns of Conflict”, “Organic Design for Command and Control”, and “The Strategic Game of ? and ?”. I also remember a number of other recorders on the table besides mine. I recently realized during a discussion on this blog that few if any of those recordings exist today.
    I managed to find my cassettes (8 – 90 minute tapes) and made a decision to convert them to CDs. If anyone is interested I have establish a way for you to get a copy of those now 8 CDs (10-12 hours). I need to add a disclaimer here that this is a recording I made with a small old portable cassette player over multiple meetings that was sitting in the middle of a conference room table. The quality is not the best but the discussion can be heard. There is considerable back ground noise and Col Boyd was never one to stand still. In any event, if you are interested in obtaining a set please contact me (polarbear1605) with your email address and I will get the particulars to you. I will also be a this weeks Boyd Conference in Quantico if you want addition information about the CDs. Thanks, Polarbear