Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Our Old Friend Diana West Is At It Again

Default So what does than make me... Don Quixote?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Odom View Post

and now that I am still in (as a DAC) but out as an active duty Soldier it is interesting to watch the struggle with democracy as a series of windmills, forever targeted for attack.

Tom
    Boss ,
    I would prefer to take the role as Sancho Panza, and leave you to be the giant killer.

Default That's cool but do not, under any circumstances,

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Hoh View Post
    Boss ,
    I would prefer to take the role as Sancho Panza, and leave you to be the giant killer.
    let him trick or bulldoze you into feeding or even getting close to that vicious killer of a donkey he rides...

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Hoh View Post
    Boss ,

Ride Conquistadore, Ride!

Default Diana West: the Gift that Keeps on Giving

There is a class of commentator on the right who is deeply pessimistic about the resevoir of Western ability and nerve to confront jihadism. Diana West is one of those people.

For example, she has been deeply, almost personally critical, of Condi Rice's approach to negotiating a regional solution with the Iranians. This is of a piece with the general conservative critique of the State Department's approach to a settlement with the Iranians. Almost without thinking, this column echoes the "surgical strike" sentiments of the crowd over at The American Spectator and The National Review, who from time to time give thought to their innermost fears about the Persian.

Iran, in their minds and certainly in the mind of Ms. West, is a ten-foot tall collossus bestriding the Persian Gulf, and needs to be taken down before it gets the Atomic Bomb. No thought is given to the consequences, both diplomatic and military, to an attack and Iran's probable counterstrokes. In reality, although I consider Iran's present leadership to be both theocratic and deeply fascist, it is foolish to ignore the other currents in Iran who wish for a settlement with the west based on mutual understanding of national interests.

This is just a hideously stupid approach to the war, but it's just a sample of what's out there on the right. Call this the flip side of the Daily Kos crowd, much more alike than either side is prepared to admit, and so much less willing to actually try and think themselves out of the box.
    "History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it."-Winston S. Churchill