Thread: Quiting...the US Military forced to loose?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Quiting...the US Military forced to loose?

Quiting...the US Military forced to LOSE?

This question could be asked under the thread of rear area politics, but I prefer to couch it in future war theory. The rhetoric of late has ratcheted up nicely, the war in Iraq has dropped in opinion polls to about 29% approval or less. We have addressed the idea of quitting in many different forums but lets bring it home here.

Put the brain power of SWC together and imagine the withdrawal of US forces from Iraq. Imagine it forced by the election of 2008. What happens to us (the US Military) when we quit?

A major black eye for the Army and Marines, humiliatingly abandonded by the country we defend. I heard today on the news a unique statement. The Congress was debating the war talking to a General, stating that while they (congress) support the troops, they are disgusted by the constant statements by military officers claiming increased progress levels in Iraq, they no longer "trust" the Generals to give candid assesments. But they reiterate they support the troops. --Ok, I are confused. They say the US Military is one of the most respected professions in America, they profess support, they express undieing devotion AND yet they don't trust us, or our leaders (reminds me of a pitbull in the closet). When they voted for the invasion of Iraq we went gladly. When they vote us out of Iraq we will leave sadly. When we went in we were invincible, superman. And now Iraq is our kryptonite--it is the stuff that weakens us from within.

Can we demonstrate in the next few months that we can do this, that 'winning iraq' can be done? (may just be a rhetorical question). WHat happens if we cannot convince the powers that be that the war and the sacrifice can be won? What happens next after we withdraw?
    Last edited by TROUFION; 07-21-2007 at 02:28 AM. Reason: should have been "lose" fat fingered an extra O.