Quote Originally Posted by Rank amateur View Post
I was just hoping you'd say this:

"Sticking around another 10 or 15 years will have little effect. "

If Rob said the same thing I probably wouldn't comment very often because I have little else of value to add. (But I would keep reading because I learn a lot here, especially when you share your war stories.)
much to the dialog? If you want to contribute value, you've proven you're capable of expressing coherent and complete thoughts; you should simply do that more often. The little blurbs and barbs don't add much.

Nor do my war stories add much -- and it's easy to read mine or anyone else's in this medium and draw an incorrect inference; so be careful...

Okay, I said what you hoped I'd say. What, precisely does that tell you? That saying that means that I believe there's no sense in staying due to that fact? Surely you know better than that. That since we're unlikely to change 3,000 years of culture in 10 or 15 we shouldn't be there? I don't think that's anywhere near the most significant reason we're there. What difference does it make whether Rob or anyone else agree with me or with you, you asked a specific question of me and I answered; does this mean that either you or I believe that we are only there to 'influence' them? And our beliefs are only acceptable if someone else concurs?

What does my saying that indicate?

For other examples:
Sometimes, I hate the director. Sometimes, I don't.
Means what? Who is the director? What is being directed? Is the director the issue or is the play the issue?
...I'm hoping that my line of thinking leads us all to the truth...
Truth? Truth of or in what? Leading us all to it implies that, whatever that truth is, it is overarching and encompasses all and is irrefutable. You and / or we may or may not ever get there but without others having at least some knowledge of that truth you seek, a lot of pixels are going to be wasted trying to get there. What IS your line of thinking -- or are we supposed to play guessing games?
If it won't, someone will blow my arguments out of the water because I am seriously outgunned in each and every debate amongst council members.
That's not necessarily correct but reliance on short pithy pointed comments does make one wonder about the depth of your interest. Drive by shootings aren't popular anywhere to my knowledge.