Thread: Carl in Iraq

Default Carl in Iraq

Council member Carl is in Iraq flying for a private company - he is also blogging again - "Because We're Here Boy, No One Else; Just Us.".

Default A particular post I like...

From Carl in Iraq:

There is a unit based in my housing area that is charged with clearing area roads of bombs. They are equiped with a variety of vehicles including HUMVEES, large and larger armored trucks and some other specialty vehicles. Parts of the unit go out each night and look for bombs using bright lights and the their eyes. One of the guys told me they find about two a night.

Around sunset a few nights ago, I saw them leaving the area to go out. One of the larger armored trucks led, followed by two of the large ones with 2 or 3 HUMVEES bringing up the rear. The guns were all mounted in the turrets and gunners were behind all the guns.

As they moved off trailing a cloud of dust, I thought of the movie "Fort Apache"; the scene where the column is moving out of the fort and all the women are watching, the flags are flying and the band is playing. These guys didn't have a band to salute their departure, only the sound of the generators. There were no flags and the only people watching were me and the guy I was walking with.

But I think the scene was as magnificent as anything John Ford ever did or thought of; brave men driving out every night to do what they must, to save the others.