A token sentence regarding strategy hardly excuses the lack of strategic thinking in the body of his work. He appears to argue for a more lax approach to the law of war. I take this from his own words. He argues that I should not judge those troops that feel torture is valid, or that have personnaly abused Iraqis, or that would not report someone that violated the rules of engagement or mistreated non-combatants. Although not specifically stated, I think any detached reading of this work could reasonably come to the conclusion that the author is excusing this behavior and actually advocating it. Now we can agree to disagree on what the author meant, but I can assure you that I read this article without an intent to mischaracterize his statement. I took his words at face value.

His argument, then, has strategic implications in the sense that it specifically cuts against the goals of COIN. Moreover, it removes the possibility of wholesale support of our actions. There have many posting on threads related to torture and the like on this website, I think, that would substantiate this fact. By sinking down to the level of the insurgents, or even more closely approaching that level, we sacrifice our honor. Call me naive or old-fashioned, but I still believe that honor means something. To travel down the path that takes us even a step closer to those we fight stains that honor. As a nation, we may be too quick to action at times, but I believe our hearts are in the right place. We do wear the white hat and I'm not willing to allow convenience to supplant honor.

While the findings of the poll he cites may indeed reflect reality, I do not believe we can simply say "oh well," and move on. Nor can we simply argue that boys will be boys, or dismiss criticism because it comes from those on the sidelines. It is more than a bit disengenuous to argue that we are in Iraq to establish law and order while we allow some of our troops to violate international law. And to have a Navy Captain even tacitly argue that we should permit this behavior is a huge setback. Imagine if this guy were a Marine O-6 in Fallujah or Ramadi. Would we still be having the same success as we are now?

BTW, please do not read my words as an attack on the Captain or you. Perhaps its the trial lawyer in me, but I tend to go for the jugular at times. My wife is working with me on that. I do enjoy a debate though.

Also, you've used the term "10 characters" a few times in other posts and its not something I am familiar with. Could you explain?