Thread: Northern Ireland (merged thread)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Default Yes Ken, I also agree; but ...

once upon a time, in 1967 in Detroit, the Paras were called in, showed professionalism, coolness and restraint - an outstanding performance for a non-gendarmerie unit. But, those Paras had one Ken White among them - so, all is explained.

Regards

Mike

-----------------
    PS: Loved the 82nd Airborne poster, which is from the Battle of the Bulge for anyone who doesn't know the story. The 82nd and the 30ID (my dad's division) were tasked to box in the German advance in the northwest part of the salient - 82nd on west, 30ID on north.

Stavelot 1-117 RIP.jpg

I have a nonagenarian client who was with the 82nd there. He still is lively and puts the make on my paralegal when he comes in. As you say, Paras do what Paras do.
    Last edited by jmm99; 06-17-2010 at 01:47 AM. Reason: add PS

Default Kent State

Bloody Sunday reminds me in some respects of the Kent State incident in 1969, when the Ohio National Guard opened fire during a disturbance on the university campus during protests against the U.S. incursion into Cambodia. All it takes is for one guy to open fire on a crowd and then have others join in to produce lots of casualties during a very brief period. The missteps or bad judgement of one side at a civil disturbance does not necessarily imply that virtue is on the other. If I recall correctly Army training for responding to civil disturbances, particularly regarding the loading of weapons, was said to have been revamped after Kent State.