Thread: Northern Ireland (merged thread)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thumbs up A little "light" on a "dark" subject

There is quite a lot in the public domain on 14 Intell Company and it's reported successor in Baghdad. On my bookshelf are four books that help:

'Ten Thirty Three: The Inside Story of Britain's Secret Killing Machine in Northern Ireland', by Nicholas Davies (Pub.Mainstream 1999) - writer is a journalist who fought a court case before publishing

'Fishers of Men' by Rob Lewis (Pub.Hodder & Stoughton 1999) - which I recall some view as an officially approved ex-members account

'Bandit Country; The IRA & South Armagh' by Toby Harnden (Pub.Coronet 1999) - general account of how the tide changed

'Shadows: Inside Northern Ireland's Special Branch' by Alan Barker (Pub. Mainstream 2004) - by ex-RUC SB officer arrested before publication, on the police's intelligence arm

More current and perplexing is the report on some RUC SB agent handling and murders, by the Northern Ireland Police Ombudsman (numerous Google hits).

Happy reading,

Davidbfpo

Default Re:

Thanks for the post! I don't have a single one of those on my shelf. I did find it interesting that my copy of, Big Boys Rules, came from a used bookstore in Hereford....I have, The Operator and one written by a former female member but can't remember the title. Ok...the super bowl half time show is over so I can get back to the game....

Default book information

"The Operator and one written by a former female member but can't remember the title."

if you could can you please post the book info on those titles? thanks

Default The Books

OPERATORS: On the Streets with Britain's Most Secret Service (Pen & Sword Military Classics) (Paperback)
    by James Rennie

I have skimmed this and thought it was interesting but its basically more on the training and selection program by a former member of the 14nth Intel Company.

Big Boys' Rules: The Sas and the Secret Struggle Against the IRA (Paperback)
    by Mark Urban

I liked this book. It's more of an overview about the various units and has some TTP/lessons learned material that I found relevant. It's my favorite of all of these books.

SHE WHO DARED: Covert Operations in Northern Ireland with the SAS (Hardcover)
    by Jackie George (Author)

This also covers the author's experiences of selection and training for the unit. Very little on TTPs and actual operations.

I'm sure you are already aware of the book, Immediate Action, by Andy Mcnabb. It also had some information on their operations.

Default thanks for the information

thanks for the information, i am really interested in the TTP's and actual operational stuff as opposed to the selection for some of those types of units. if you have any other suggestions i would greatly appreciate it.