Thread: Organizing for COIN at the Company and Platoon Level

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Organizing for COIN at the Company and Platoon Level

SWJ Blog - Organizing for Counterinsurgency at the Company and Platoon Level by Captain Jeremy Gwinn, US Army.

In today's military, the requirement to conduct tasks far outside traditional specialties is an accepted reality. Operations in Iraq and Afghanistan have taught leaders across the services the need for flexibility and creativity both in action and organization. The recently published FM 3-24 (MCWP 3-33.5) Counterinsurgency (COIN) manual provides an excellent framework for leaders to understand the demands of the COIN environment and draw from recent lessons. With regard to organizing for COIN, the manual makes several valuable recommendations such as establishing a company level intelligence section and identifying a political and cultural advisor. My purpose here is to go one step further, providing additional, specific recommendations for company level leaders organizing for counterinsurgency operations. Some of the ideas presented involve actual changes to task organization, while others involve developing skills internally that, by doctrine, only exist in specialized attachments. These steps are by no means prescriptive, but intended as a starting point for discussion among officers and non-commissioned officers (NCOs) at the company level...
    One of our longer blog entries - well worth the read...

CPT Gwinn has commanded an infantry company in Afghanistan and Iraq with the Army's 10th Mountain Division, and is currently attending graduate school en route to instruct at West Point.

Default Great piece

Dave and Bill,

I'll be wanting to double tap this one for CALL. I already have a slot for it in Vol 7 of the Company-level SOS series. Send me the good Captain's email please.

Best

Tom

Default On the way

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Odom View Post
    Dave and Bill,

I'll be wanting to double tap this one for CALL. I already have a slot for it in Vol 7 of the Company-level SOS series. Send me the good Captain's email please.

Best

Tom
    Tom - just sent - Dave

A good post, well done CAPT Gwinn.

Great article.
    We have some outstanding leaders growing in our ranks.
    I am glad CPT Gwinn will be in the GO ranks when my little warriors dawn the uniform.

Definitely a great piece!
    Sic Bisquitus Disintegrat...
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Institute of Interdisciplinary Studies,
    Senior Research Fellow,
    The Canadian Centre for Intelligence and Security Studies, NPSIA
    Carleton University
    http://marctyrrell.com/