Yes, in our republic with its strong democratic tradition the people are too blame in the end. Still, that does not excuse the actions of politicians.

Most--certainly not all, but most--that I know or have worked with show enormous commitment, energy, and intelligence.
1) I would say that most politicians, since I don't know the politicians you have know or worked with I cannot comment on them, are above average intelligence but, they are not as far above as they used to be. Most are unaware of their own ignorace, and too many lack humility. At the time Jerold Ford was considered unintelligent for his position and now look at where we are. By todays standards he's Nixon. There used to be a higher standard.

2) Yes, the people are responsible. Too many districts are electing people who are, "One of us." Not in that they are truly from their district (unlike Hillary who is NOT a NY person) but as in being average. Districts (a long, long time ago) used to send the best they could offer. It was a point of pride. They sent the person best qualified to make decisions on their behalf. People where willing to admit their ignorance of government and the issues before it, but at the same time they took it as a matter of pride to send someone who could meaningfully contribute to government. Part of the standard for a politician used to be that they should be better than us, not in a personal sense but in their ability. Part of the reason Congress has always been filled with lawyers is because they were often the best educated and qualified. I should note that I do not believe that one necesarilly has to be that intelligent, but they must know their limits and posess humility. Reagan didn't have much up there but he somehow pulled it together by finding people who were qualified. A few good examples of people who just don't belong in politics: Mayor Nagin, Ted Kennedy, Nancy Pellosi, Harry Reid, Dan Quayle, John Ashcroft, Tren Lott and of course he who shall not be named. Like you I do not wish to be too unpopular.

3) Yes, the people are responsible. We only care about our district, not the country.

I could offer a defence of the media as well, but I try to limit myself to one unpopular group per post
I must admit I do have respect for the press, but unfortunately they don't exist any more. They have been devoured by the media, and giant conglomerates.

Sorry, I'm on a soapbox. Its just CNN, FOX and all of them are eating my brain and shooting the TV just doesn't help!

Why do we defend politicians?

If they can't defend themselves how can they defend America? LOL.

Wouldn't that be a great Anti-Campaign add.

Sorry, if I sound serious I'm not actually this rough in real life. I'm just kvetching.