Thread: Attacking the al Qaeda "Narrative"

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Social Theatre

Hi Dominique,

The entire area of social theatre is a really interesting one. You mentioned that people would be afraid of the possible danger, and that is true. On the other hand, we have seen some examples of anti-irhabi theatre appearing already. Here's one of the funiest:

I wanna be like Osama

There are other examples as well, such as Little Mosque on the Prairie that played on CBC and is up on YouTube.

The trick with social theatre is to correctly identify a) the audience and b) the goal. For example, Little Mosque was aimed at reducing tensions in Canada, not at stopping the irhabis.

The trick in understanding the audience is in making sure that the humour fits the culture. This problem really showed up in the recent (2005) attempt to market The Simsons in the Arab world.

BTW, back in the early 40's Radcliffe-Brown published a couple of articles on "joking relationships" which led to an understanding that almost all humour is based on structural faults in a culture / society.

On Joking Relationships
    A. R. Radcliffe-Brown
    Africa: Journal of the International African Institute, Vol. 13, No. 3 (Jul., 1940), pp. 195-210
    doi:10.2307/1156093
    This article consists of 16 page(s).
    View Article Abstract
    Available here on JSTOR (requires login)

A Further Note on Joking Relationships
    A. R. Radcliffe-Brown
    Africa: Journal of the International African Institute, Vol. 19, No. 2 (Apr., 1949), pp. 133-140
    doi:10.2307/1156517
    This article consists of 8 page(s).
    View Article Abstract
    Available here on JSTOR (requires login)
    Probably the best work done in the area was by Victor Turner (e.g. the Anthropology of Performance and From Ritual to Theatre) and by him with Richard Scheckner (Between Theatre and Anthropology).

On a more pragmatic level, I think that the "danger" factor is more from the extreme PC crowd than from the irhabis. The reactions you noted about the cartoon affair being termed "racist" - which is semanticaly ridiculous; Islam is a religion not a "race" (whatever that may be!) - are quite likely to be brought up. "Racism" and "sexism" being the two current high cards in victim poker.

Honestly, if I was setting up a satire campaign, I would have two aim points in mind: the irhabis who slaughter people and the "race industry" who tell everyone that this is just an historical "correction of grievances against the imperialist West".

Marc
    Sic Bisquitus Disintegrat...
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Institute of Interdisciplinary Studies,
    Senior Research Fellow,
    The Canadian Centre for Intelligence and Security Studies, NPSIA
    Carleton University
    http://marctyrrell.com/

"Racism" and "sexism" being the two current high cards in victim poker
    hee hee hee.

Default Just a quick update...

Jihad: the Musical, has a download page with two of the songs in mp3 format. It is currently playing at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival until August 26th or a fatwa appears.

Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Senior Research Fellow,
    Carleton University

Council Member Dominique R. Poirier's Avatar

Marc,
    thank you very much for your renewed interest and contribution. I sincerely appreciate it.

I think that there is a good deal of creativity and talent in both songs whose style inescapably remind us of certain old American musical movies and English Music Hall style of good quality.

It might be a good start!

Though I have personal good reasons to enjoy the second song, Turned and Ran, I was just wondering whether it is timely to attack the French on that ground. For, here in France appearances suggest that the new French president Nicolas Sarkozy is favorable to a taw in the diplomatic relations and exchanges with the United States.
    Coincidence makes that he is vacationing in the New Hamphsire at this time and all those who are interested in diplomacy can learn more about that at the following link:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/03/wo...3vacation.html

Once more I put aside my personal opinions for a while to say, as a matter of fact, that as long as we are unable (if ever, of course) to correctly evaluate the sincerity of Nicolas Sarkozy then it would be suitable to encourage such a surprising and unexpected expression of good will.
    However, I have some reasons for to think that Sarkozy’s move might not gather general satisfaction within the ranks of the French military and spooks.

If ever he is sincere he must feel very alone, sometimes…

Back to the matter at hand, I can confess that I had some ideas in mind when I worked on that idea. I thought for a while about Homer Simpson as terrorist hunter. But the most attractive I found was something such as a team of two: "Overladen Bin" playing the sinister boss with his inseparable dumb lieutenant Richard Reid, aka the "Shoe Bomber," who unwillingly and lamentably always sabotages all missions and plots, owing to the repeated blunders he does.
    Pretty sure there are talented scenarists and gagmen who should be able to make something burlesque with that.
    Well, that’s what my 15 years of professional experience in communication and advertising suggest to me.
    Last edited by Dominique R. Poirier; 08-04-2007 at 06:54 PM.

Default Some people just can't take a joke!

Well, humor is ingrained in OUR society. One of the first weapons used by Americans after 911 was making fun of the morons that caused this one on us. We have been doing this ever since. In my opinion we have a "society" of our own. If "they" don't like than that is just tough ####. Humor is a great weapon. Especially, in today's war against terror.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tqtpfq6OJ9A
    "But suppose everybody on our side felt that way?"
    "Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way. Wouldn't I?"

It almost begs for something along the lines of the "terrorists" in Monty Python's "Life of Brian." Who can forget the "Judean Peoples' Front" and their "crack suicide squad"?

Seriously, I can see some really funny ways that we could get after these people. Sadly, due to those high cards in "victim poker" I have to say that the mainstream media leadership lacks the testicular fortitude to do it.
    "On the plains and mountains of the American West, the United States Army had once learned everything there was to learn about hit-and-run tactics and guerrilla warfare."
    T.R. Fehrenbach This Kind of War

Hi Steve,

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Blair View Post
    It almost begs for something along the lines of the "terrorists" in Monty Python's "Life of Brian." Who can forget the "Judean Peoples' Front" and their "crack suicide squad"?

Seriously, I can see some really funny ways that we could get after these people. Sadly, due to those high cards in "victim poker" I have to say that the mainstream media leadership lacks the testicular fortitude to do it.
    Yeah. Then again, I don't think that the MSM is the best way to get this type of message out. I'd recommend a multi-front attack: stage shows, movies, cable, anime, youtube, graphic novels, CD games, etc. Since we agree on the Montey Python-esque quality required, maybe the entire civ-mil project should be handed over to the (soon to be created) Her Majesties Royal Comic Corps.
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Senior Research Fellow,
    Carleton University

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Blair View Post

Suicide Squad Leader: We are the Judean People's Front crack suicide squad! Suicide squad, attack!
    [they all stab themselves]
    Suicide Squad Leader: That showed 'em, huh?
    Too funny!
    "But suppose everybody on our side felt that way?"
    "Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way. Wouldn't I?"

Hi Dominique,

Quote Originally Posted by Dominique R. Poirier View Post
    Marc,
    thank you very much for your renewed interest and contribution. I sincerely appreciate it.
    No worries, mate . I've just been tied up with work recently.

I think that there is a good deal of creativity and talent in both songs whose style inescapably remind us of certain old American musical movies and English Music Hall style of good quality.
    I'd certainly agree with that! Itis an English production, which might account for the music hall style, as well as the comments about the French. I played the video for my wife last night and she commented that it reminded her of Monty Python.

Back to the matter at hand, I can confess that I had some ideas in mind when I worked on that idea. I thought for a while about Omer Simpson as terrorist hunter. But the most attractive I found was something such as a team of two: "Overladen Bin" playing the sinister boss with his inseparable dumb lieutenant Richard Reid, aka the "Shoe Bomber," who unwillingly and lamentably always sabotages all missions and plots, owing to the repeated blunders he does.
    Pretty sure there are talented scenarists and gagmen who should be able to make something burlesque with that.
    Well, that’s what my 15 years of professional experience in communication and advertising suggest to me.
    It has possibilities . I would add in a few other twists. For example, apparently the old Northern Alliance in Afghanistan is convinced that OBL is either working with or controlled by a djinn. This opens up a whole new twist - a farcical version of Faust comes to mind. Then again, I have always had a vicious sense of humour .

Marc
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Senior Research Fellow,
    Carleton University