Rob,
Thanks again for your reply. Just to introduce my background, I am currently on Command and Staff Course. My background is in aviation particularly Joint Terminal Attack Control / FAC so my grounding is psyops is not strong. It is, however, an area I am increasingly coming to view as critical.

I think a structured approach to examining effects in the cognitive domain will benefit any campaign planning process. The reason I am drawn to memtics is it may allow the portrayal of intangibles in a similar manner to more traditional physical targets and allow the same level of analysis. I think CofG analysis could work for example: the endstate may be the cessation of hostilities, the CofG may be the bleif that the conflict is a Jihad and the CC / CV may be the reputation of certain religious leaders. These can then be linked to actions in and through both the physical and informational domains.

The problem is understaning the problem and I think a cultural expert without an agenda is going to be very hard to find. The best option I could think of is a member of the diplomatic corps who has undergone campaign training at a war college / staff college. This may give them a skillset that makes them useful to both the military and the diplomatic corps.

In terms of describing the concepts, I don't think it is wise to use a real conflict as so many people are so emotionally invested in the current operations and it can appear disrepsctful and arrogant to deconstruct an event with 20/20 hindsight.

I apologise for not having more to offer at this stage but I am increasingly convinced of the need to stress the importance of activities other than kinetics and coordinate these with the overall campaign. 'Wars are won in the will' and I am starting to believe any CofG will be resident in the cognitive domain so all lines of operation should be geared toward that effort.

Controversial for a pilot I know!

JD