Thread: Fight on Donkey Island

Default Fight on Donkey Island

Here is the link to the Fight on Donkey Island article in today's Washngton Post.

From the account:
    Young's gunner, Sgt. William Fellows, had nearly exhausted the 1,800 rounds he carried for his M240 machine gun. So the 24-year-old from Springfield, Mo., grabbed a Vietnam-era M-14 rifle and fired off five magazines. With only 100 rounds left, he was minutes from running out, he recalled: "We all basically went black on ammo."

At a mud-brick outpost a few miles southwest of the battle, a scout platoon set off in seven Humvees loaded with machine gun rounds. They arrived about 11 p.m., just in time to resupply Stark's patrol, and together the soldiers advanced toward the trucks.

"Spray it down!" ordered Capt. Jimm Spannagel, the scout platoon's leader. The trucks caught fire, munitions inside shooting off like fireworks, then exploded in gigantic red balls. Meanwhile, the insurgents, who outnumbered the Americans throughout the battle, were repositioning. Some swam across the canal to set up machine gun nests midstream on a small piece of land known as Donkey Island. Others dug in on the canal's beaches or behind its four-foot-high banks.
    Everytime I read the all to few accounts such as this, I am always reminded of the immensity of the heroics these men display without a second thought. I only wish the countless other fights, acts of heroism and compassion that I know happen on a day to day basis by both Coalition and Iraqi Security Forces were covered as well as this one.

Selfless service is a common virtue by Coalition & Iraqi men and women. I think you can see that we've made more friends then enemies, and that the sacrifices our friends and family have made don't go unheralded by the Iraqis we work and fight side by side with.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Thornton View Post
    Here is the link to the Fight on Donkey Island article in today's Washngton Post.

From the account:

Everytime I read the all to few accounts such as this, I am always reminded of the immensity of the heroics these men display without a second thought. I only wish the countless other fights, acts of heroism and compassion that I know happen on a day to day basis by both Coalition and Iraqi Security Forces were covered as well as this one.

Selfless service is a common virtue by Coalition & Iraqi men and women. I think you can see that we've made more friends then enemies, and that the sacrifices our friends and family have made don't go unheralded by the Iraqis we work and fight side by side with.
    The tank platoon leader graduated from the Basic Course in late April. The date of this was 30 June. I remember him. Glad he was paying attention.
    Example is better than precept.

I'm familiar with that area from my last deploy. I could see how these guys are finding the will and means to mass like this, so despite the friendly casualties, this is a good reminder to never become complacent.

It's also a good reminder to check out the bedouin tents...never know what you'll come across.