Hey LV,
How large is the AF Security Forces? We had some that were working with Iraqis to develop their base security capabilities, they were sharp guys, but there did not seem to be many of them. I'd say that is true for almost any MP/SP & Sec For capabilities inside the uniformed services. Army MPs fall up under Combat Support, there are not as many of them as people might imagine. The MPs up in Mosul could not do much more then get to a specific IP station once a week, even then they were limited to the tactical side of the house -pretty much patrolling vs. the other side of advisory work which works on building capacity through resourcing and leader/staff development. You need both to be sure. The senior guy was usually the PSG/PL with the rest of the platoon pretty junior - there was no staff types to work with the IPs so consequently their issuse did not get much visibility.
I'm not sure even combining the various MP/SP/Sec For capabilities of the Joint Force would be enough to provide the advisory capability needed, plus perform their other missions. The scale of this task is really taking a toll on all the services. Visit the FT Riley home page or the MNCI Advisor site to get a feel for the scope of the advisory mission. While it seems like the fit is LE for LE organizations - the truth is that both IA and IP are in need of these skills. Any HN security force facing the type of security issues found in Iraq will probably need these skills.
If one of the threats we are going to increasingly face is one that has elements of extremism/terrorism combined with trans-national criminal organizations combined with Narc-Terror - combined with tribal loyalties we better consider how we are going to reflect that in our capabilities. Its why I think LTC Nagl's idea is so relevant - it provides the basis where the Joint force could both be employed in an effective and efficient way in enabling/strengthening Iraqi and other HN security forces, moreover it provides the means by which we gain unique and valuable perspective in how best to fight the types of threats the enemy is constituting, testing and exporting to destabilize other states.