Thread: Officer Retention

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

A very wise man (my 1st Bn cmdr as an officer) told me once that we are actually professionals because we have our own terminology, much the same as doctors, lawyers, and bankers do.

He believed that the ability to kick a football through uprights, dunk a basketball, or hit a homerun did not make one a professional, so I think differing terminologies are fine, and I see that you agree to some extent.

Grammar, diction, and eloquence are good for only three things in my mind. The first is writng a fitness report on a subordinate. Second, we have to be abe to write good awards. Finally, we must be able to write a good eulogy for our fallen brethren. All else is secondary.

I think we'd be hard pressed to find a servicemember who left the service because they felt other professions held a prejudice against them as uneducated, or folks who have overlooked the military as a possible career for the same reasons. The reasons are a lot more primal and basic.

A man or woman is either going to be adventurous and take the plunge into the military, or they won't. That they come from a region like the northeast (where I attended college), bears little on the process if they already have it in their heart. They often do not have it in their heart due to the affluence they have enjoyed all of their life. Put another way, if you are close to your banker father and understand a bit about his profession, wouldn't you be more inclined to follow the same path as you become an adult? If you drove a Saab in college because it was handed down from Mom or Dad, you're going to feel that pull to follow in their footsteps because you want a Saab later on.

The Northeast is rife with family traditions. Same prep school path...same Ivy League education. "Well Biff, remember that there's that associate partner position waiting for you once you finish school...hmmm...hmmm." Recent military service may simple not be one of them, so it is difficult to maintain that chain.

Personally, I'd rather stand beside a chaw-chewing, backwards-ass officer or NCO who was a hard mofo and knew how to issue simple orders,than someone who could recite the significance of Waterloo. That's for the folks on the History Channel to take care of.

Don't get me wrong, I've thought long and hard about the issue of drawing the right folks into the officer corps. Society in general has changed since the 50s and 60s, and without a bipolar state opponent breathing down our necks, perhaps the issue of retention boils down to the fact that some members don't want to roll the dice for the third, fourth, or fifth time and die in the process. I dunno...
    Last edited by jcustis; 09-11-2007 at 02:54 AM. Reason: typo and grammar

Quote Originally Posted by jcustis View Post
    Personally, I'd rather stand beside a chaw-chewing, backwards-ass officer or NCO who was a hard mofo and knew how to issue simple orders,than someone who could recite the significance of Waterloo. That's for the folks on the History to take care of.

Somebody say Amen....!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by slapout9 View Post
    Somebody say Amen....!!!!!!
    I can't. I have a dip in.
    Example is better than precept.

Council Member

Amen... I think you pretty much summed everything up.

?I don't get it.?

Quote Originally Posted by RTK View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam L View Post
    ?I don't get it.?
    Adam, allow me to clarify from the Urban Dictionary

Dip is a form of smokeless tobacco that is cut more fine than regualar chewing tobacco. Large amounts of nicotine are absorbed through the gums and mouth tissue and goes directly to the blood stream, creating a buzz that lasts around 15 minutes. This buzz only lasts until you become tolerant to the drug; people who are heavy users only receive a state of satisfaction and relaxation.
    I'm however unsure just how much RTK needs for a buzz

Council Member

Adam,

I can see your point. Sorry I did not see it that way at first. Upon first reading it came across as an attack on Sun Tzu to which I will always take exception.

V/R

Dave
    I'm exactly the same way.

Adam, allow me to clarify from the Urban Dictionary

Quote:
    Dip is a form of smokeless tobacco that is cut more fine than regualar chewing tobacco. Large amounts of nicotine are absorbed through the gums and mouth tissue and goes directly to the blood stream, creating a buzz that lasts around 15 minutes. This buzz only lasts until you become tolerant to the drug; people who are heavy users only receive a state of satisfaction and relaxation.
    I'm however unsure just how much RTK needs for a buzz
    Thanks for the explanation!

Adam

Adam L - Don't feel bad. As a fellow New Yorker, I never knew what dip was until I went to School of Infantry.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by tequila View Post
    Adam L - Don't feel bad. As a fellow New Yorker, I never knew what dip was until I went to School of Infantry.
    Thanks. I don't know if I felt bad, just really confused. LOL

Thanks,
    Adam

And one should never confuse dip with dipsh#t.

Default Culture Violation

Being from the cultural center of the Universe let me splain this stuff to y'all.

You Dip.....Snuff......from a can!

Dipping is the proper TTP to used against the target....a can a snuff!

Not to be confused with a chaw of tobacco. A chaw is bite of chewing tobacco. Or properly expressed as "I'm gonna git me a chaw of bacco"
    Last edited by slapout9; 09-11-2007 at 02:22 PM. Reason: fix stuff

Yawl boys grew up deprived. I was born and raised in the Hudson River Valley, but I managed to have a few excursions out of the Empire State when I was coming along that enabled me to know about dipping and chewing (or more correctly, chawin'). You might want to investigate things like Skoal and Copenhagen. The phrase "...just a pinch between cheek and gum. . . " comes to mind. Now the joys of Beechnut (and I don't mean the chewing gum) and Red Man are a wholely different matter.

Being from the cultural center of the Universe let me splain this stuff to y'all.

You Dip.....Snuff......from a can!

Dipping is the proper TTP to used against the target....a can a snuff!
    Slapout,
    While I agree about your locale as being close to the cultural center of the universe (actually I think it is in Scotland Neck, NC) you want to be careful talking about snuff outside of the US. When I was stationed in Germany, we used to do snuff rounds with the owner of our favorite Gasthaus--it definitely had no relation to dipping smokeless. Nose-blowing the next morning was always a disgusting experience.

We always called a trailer park the county seat. Thats where the Guvmint is and all they do is sit around.

wm, I got kin folks in Maggies Valley,NC.

A pinch of snuff is the female TTP.