Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Officer Retention

Default good discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Norfolk View Post

I intended no offence to anyone, and I apologize for causing any.
    None taken. You come across as a consumate pro.

Admittedly I don't have a formal study sitting in front of me stating that X-number/percentage of such-and such rated officers have taken their leave of the Army. But I have seen the official figures posted on these boards of junior officer classes who have taken their releases - the latest and most startling being that of the class of 2002 in which 57% of the Army's officers who entered that year have taken their releases. Undoubtedy that will include a good many of the best. It will be itnersting to see what the retention and release figures for the class of 2003 will be.

We are unlikely to get a formal report from the U.S. Army explicitly stating that it has lost either a significant proportion or even the bulk of its best young officers. But something much more substantial than just a bunch of horror stories about officer retention is going on.
    This links to a JAN 2007 GAO report on officer accesions and retention. Without addressing the "quality" issue, there are some interesting stats on overall retention in various Fiscal Years by various year groups. Some precipitous spikes in departures, but overall decent retention by commissioning source overall. Very interesting to see the similarities in FY 2001 and FY 2005 on page 31.
    "Law cannot limit what physics makes possible." Humanitarian Apsects of Airpower (papers of Frederick L. Anderson, Hoover Institution, Stanford University)

Council Member

Thank-you for your patience with me, CR6, and again I am sorry for my thoughtless and careless words; no insult was intended to the Officer Corps of the U.S. Army, but having reflected on my previous statements, it is clear that I went too far. I beg the pardon of all whom I have offended.

The GAO statement that you have provided, CR6, is good enough for me.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    As I am reposting the (unoffensive) part of a previous post, as I am hoping that the offensive post will be deleted shortly:

jcustis' post is excellent, even outstanding - and why indeed don't the Armed Forces (throughout the English-speaking world) commission more from the ranks? As Patton himself said, it takes 10 years for an officer to begin earning his pay. There is a good case to be made for taking talented and experienced sergeants and offering them commissions. And in addition to their mastery of their craft, there is, as jcustis said, the likelihood that these guys are in for the long haul. And that's because they are more likely to view the military as a calling, a vocation, or a profession, rather than as a career - careers can change, but a calling is rather more resilient.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cavguy
    You're assuming those getting out are the bottom 10%. I'd say there's an even distribution across - some of the best LT's (now CPTs) in my BN bailed out, a few of the ok, and some of the bad.

Categorizing all those who leave as the bottom 10% seriously misreads the situation. Our bigger worry is only the bottom 10% stay . Promoting from the ranks is an option.

Also to Ken's earlier - we're having heavy attrition in the E-5/E-6 arena as well, but we're throwing massive re-up money at them, which is holding them in. Shoot, we pay $40k now to first term enlistees.

During the 1990's, the Canadian Armed Forces, and especially the "Army", suffered the almost wholesale loss of its best and most experienced officers and NCOs - not to mention ordinary soldiers. This was partly due to "Peace Dividend" reductions, partly due to massive over-committment to overseas "Peacekeeping" missions that virtually burned the Army out, and partly due to the Department of National Defences policies of conducting "purges" (that was indeed the actual word used in a few statements by DND officials) of those elements within the military who most felt that it was a calling, not just a career - because those elements were most definitely not PC.

By 1995, there was not a single officer left who had experience manoeuvring a Brigade, let alone a Division, and shortly afterwards even the experience of Battalion manoeuvre was something that only a few of the older senior officers could claim - and none of the younger field-grades. I read some CF College papers these days, some of them calling for capabilities that we still had back in the early 90's, and these guys are writing as if the CF never had them in the first place. The younger Captains and Majors, who were not in and never new the "old" Army prior to the mid-1990's, have little idea of what there was before their time, because most of those who knew are long gone. Standards throughout the Army, and especially the Infantry Corps, suffered a precipitous decline, right from the individual-level on up to Company-level, which formed the upper-limit of training in the Army. The Armed Forces as a whole suffered a loss of public esteem from which they have never fully recovered, and recruiting standards have been lowered to the point where as long as you are not disabled, physically or mentally, and possess Canadian citizenship, you pretty much are guaranteed acceptance - and you need no personal references either.

And this goes to Cavguy's point. It isn't just, or even mostly, those that the U.S. Army can best do without who are leaving; [Note: the following part is edited] quite a few of those who are leaving are those who are better (and in some cases, best) suited to leading the Army now and into the future. At present, there is a dearth, becoming serious now, of officers who have actual experience manoeuvring Brigades and Divisions, and even Battalions. Once Major-Unit and Formation-level Combined Arms practical know-how is lost or seriously degraded, it's hard to get it back. The Canadians, for example, for the last few years have been engagaed in the arduous task of trying to relearn and remaster Combined-Arms at Battalion-level, with some attempts at Brigade-level; Division-level is not going to happen, but needs to.

The U.S. Army, by a combination of operational over-committment (unavoidable of course) to Iraq and Afghanistan, and the concomittant loss of the [Note: Edited] a significant part of its younger, better officers (amongst others), is at increasingly serious risk of a talent gap not only at subaltern-level, but most especialy at field-grade and flag officer level - where they can do the most good if they were to make it that far.

Edit Note: This part was just so people don't wonder what happened to an older post.
    Last edited by Norfolk; 03-19-2008 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Add portions of a previous to-be-deleted post.

Default Thanks for the link. Really interesting thing to me

Quote Originally Posted by CR6 View Post
    This links to a JAN 2007 GAO report on officer accesions and retention. Without addressing the "quality" issue, there are some interesting stats on overall retention in various Fiscal Years by various year groups. Some precipitous spikes in departures, but overall decent retention by commissioning source overall. Very interesting to see the similarities in FY 2001 and FY 2005 on page 31.
    was that the much hyped loss of Captains is there but is not nearly as far out of the norms as the noise would lead one to bleieve.

Even more interesting is the fact that equally loud screaming about Majors is apparently true -- but doesn't affect the combat arms, other than FA much at all -- the losses are in the CS and particularly the CSS arena.

Since I've long contended that our Log tail is way, way too big, I can live with that...

Nor does the report address the ideal number of Officers overall in relation to the total force; if it did, I suspect they might infer that our reliance on significant Officer over staffing across the board to meet a potential mobilization goal might be better modified and that goal achieved in other ways.

World War II in northern Europe is still defining the US Army...

We are unlikely to get a formal report from the U.S. Army explicitly stating that it has lost either a significant proportion or even the bulk of its best young officers. But something much more substantial than just a bunch of horror stories about officer retention is going on.
    I personally doubt that an analysis on staying and departing company grade officers based on an objective assessment of their performance is currently feasible due to problems with the OER system. The main problem, in my opinion, is "grade inflation" in junior officer OERs driven either by a fear of damning a junior officer with only "faint praise" or the inability of some Raters or Senior Raters to be the "bad guy" and give a poor evaluation to an officer who truly deserves one.

That being said, I do not know if there are any alternative systems that can truly remedy the current problems with the company grade officer OER system and which are free of similar or more serious problems of their own. Also, while I have not rated a junior commissioned officer, I can understand the difficulties some, if not many, Company Commanders have or would have in some how "ranking" their Platoon Leaders and XO if they all are accomplishing their assigned mission as well as properly caring for their Soldiers.
    "In times of change learners inherit the earth; while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists." - Eric Hoffer

OERs have been inflated pretty much since they began giving them. Same with EPRs. No one wants to consider the fact that doing one's job with a basic level of competence is AVERAGE performance. I think it has something to do with the compulsion to consider everyone special and therefore not average. It's a nasty cycle, and isn't fair to either the person doing average work or the person who's outperforming just about everyone in the unit. But I can't honestly see it changing much in the near future.

I tend to agree with Norfolk that the current exodus is worrying. It's happened before, and the institution survived it, but it also hamstrung development and progress for many years.

And Ken...I'd say that World War I is still defining the Army...which is even more depressing.
    "On the plains and mountains of the American West, the United States Army had once learned everything there was to learn about hit-and-run tactics and guerrilla warfare."
    T.R. Fehrenbach This Kind of War

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Blair View Post
    OERs have been inflated pretty much since they began giving them. Same with EPRs. No one wants to consider the fact that doing one's job with a basic level of competence is AVERAGE performance. I think it has something to do with the compulsion to consider everyone special and therefore not average. It's a nasty cycle, and isn't fair to either the person doing average work or the person who's outperforming just about everyone in the unit. But I can't honestly see it changing much in the near future.

(
    The problem with, at least the Army's, performance evaluations is that the person being evaluated is judged for performance in a specific, local position but is measured against a global population. We need to get over that hurdle. I doubt anyone has ever seen a rater or senior rater write "This officer did an average job in this position, but then even the best officer in the force would not have done much better." That is the issue to overcome in evaluation reporting IMHO.

Default On a more humorous note

Some of you have probably seen these, but its always fun to go back and read the list of great staff officer quotes.

Best, Rob

NY Times, 21 March

Sovereigns of All They’re Assigned, Captains Have Many Missions to Oversee

JISR DIALA, Iraq — During the war in Iraq, young Army and Marine captains have become American viceroys, officers with large sectors to run and near-autonomy to do it. In military parlance, they are the “ground-owners.” In practice, they are power brokers.
    Many in the military believe that these captains are the linchpins in the American strategy for success in Iraq, but as the war continues into its sixth year the military has been losing them in large numbers — at a time when it says it needs thousands more.

Most of these captains have extensive combat experience and are regarded as the military’s future leaders. They’re exactly the men the military most wants. But corporate America wants them too. And the hardships of repeated tours are taking their toll, tilting them back toward civilian life and possibly complicating the future course of the war.
    Good article. Captures the issues well. Great point about the year at home not being a break. I found Iraq more relaxing than the year at home, current ARFORGEN resembles "light your hair on fire and spin" for 12 months.

On a related note, a buddy who works with personnel in DC stated that as a total force (active and reserve), we are 10,000 CPT's short of anticipated requirements. Not sure of breakdown active/reserve shortages.

Hacksaw brought up another observation made earlier - about filling the shortage by promoting from the ranks. Right now, OCS is pretty much wide open for anyone who meets the basic requirements. It was when I was a CO, and I understand they've even lowered the bar some more. Pretty much all who want to become an officer can right now, if they're willing to invest the effort. So the shortage includes that of willing NCO's/enlisted to make the transition.

My RTO/Tank Gunner in OIF was that way. Tremendously smart. Good judgement, and I told him he needed to become an officer. He laughed and stated that after watching all I put up with over the past year, no way!
    "A Sherman can give you a very nice... edge."- Oddball, Kelly's Heroes
    Who is Cavguy?

When I went to my second battalion assignment at Fort Hood in 1997, the battalion had about 30 LTs assigned to it. Before I left Hood for the advanced course in 1999, a dozen of that number had left the service for Corporate America. Back then, the main reason my peers left was an Army culture problem: junior officers (myself included) routinely chafed under micromanagement and a perception of a "zero defects" culture (real? Imagined? Who knows?).

Fast forward to now. We see similar rates of junior officers "popping smoke" for civilian life, but the stated reasons are a lot different. I'm not being an apologist for the Army's ham-fisted approach to officer retention. Rather, I argue that for an organization that puts on airs that they are the equal of any corporate personnel division, "HRC" is still the train wreck as it was when it was known as "PERSCOM". $20 large to keep a kid in that is on the fence, just to throw him back into the meat grinder? No thanks, were I said young officer. If your branch's "Branch Chief's Notes" page on the HRC website reads anything like mine, it says something like:

TAKE WHAT WE GIVE YOU. IF YOU'RE LUCKY, WE'LL GET YOU AN RFO A MONTH OUT.

As laughable as it was when Hernandez told officers via the Army Times circa 2004: "I haven't been, but suck down a couple more rotations, because I said so".

Bitter ranting? Nope; I'm still in, I've pounded my share of sand, and I do what I do because I love the people in the Army. The machine itself, not so much. The young Captain in the Washington Post a couple of weeks ago is expressing his generation's reason for leaving in a clear, recognizable message.

I'd like to see the Army listen. I know I'm listening.

Council Member

I had a chance this past week to talk with someone from RAND about this problem.

The first thing out of his mouth:
    "We insult our Captains when we give new recruits up to $15,000 more than the Captains. We expect the Captains to carry more responsibility and more accountability, then we go and offer them less money than someone who had been in high school a week before signing up for his first enlistment. It's no surprise to me why the Captains are leaving with policies like this..."
    "Speak English! said the Eaglet. "I don't know the meaning of half those long words, and what's more, I don't believe you do either!"

The Eaglet from Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland

Quote Originally Posted by Ski View Post
    I had a chance this past week to talk with someone from RAND about this problem.

The first thing out of his mouth:
    "We insult our Captains when we give new recruits up to $15,000 more than the Captains. We expect the Captains to carry more responsibility and more accountability, then we go and offer them less money than someone who had been in high school a week before signing up for his first enlistment. It's no surprise to me why the Captains are leaving with policies like this..."
    That's a keeper. Altough I don't have the slightest concern for money for myself, I can personally tell you that it is indeed infuriating when a Marine transfers in, is a total soup samich, but cleared $40K as a reenlistment bonus. The calamity of it all...because you've become the guy who has to clean him up.

Has anyone else looked at the other options that HRC is pimping for Captain retention? You've got DLI, grad school, Ranger (I need to find out who is taking this one) and branch transfer. Most of these have expired, but I asked HRC to get a rough idea about the most popular ones.

Branch transfer rated pretty high. From what I can tell, since the FAD/CFD process was stuck in artificial emergency mode, most officers weren't getting selected for career field designation outside their basic branch. That meant that a lot of Captains used the transfer option to get into a "non-insignia" branch. Why? I don't know, outside of my own branch. The ones I've talked to that used the option to transfer into mine cited a desire to break the cycle of deployments, only to learn that there's not much difference.

Has anyone talked to some of the Captains that took any of these options? Outside of just love of the lifestyle, what motivates them? What's Big Army doing for outreach? All I got back then was a survey that I maxed out the "Additional Comments" block on, and never heard anything back.

Quote Originally Posted by sandbag View Post
    Has anyone talked to some of the Captains that took any of these options? Outside of just love of the lifestyle, what motivates them? What's Big Army doing for outreach? All I got back then was a survey that I maxed out the "Additional Comments" block on, and never heard anything back.
    Everyone in my circle who took the incentive package took the money, including your's truely. Most of these guys were at the point where they were staying in anyway (8 of 10) and figured it was free money. The other two were on the fence. The money enticed them to stay.
    Example is better than precept.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by jonSlack View Post
    That being said, I do not know if there are any alternative systems that can truly remedy the current problems with the company grade officer OER system and which are free of similar or more serious problems of their own. Also, while I have not rated a junior commissioned officer, I can understand the difficulties some, if not many, Company Commanders have or would have in some how "ranking" their Platoon Leaders and XO if they all are accomplishing their assigned mission as well as properly caring for their Soldiers.
    Jon,

I didn't find rating platoon leaders that difficult and it was amazing to see the separation that developed between them in terms of performance. The top and bottom ones clearly distinguished themselves, and it was clear who had the potential as they moved along.

For example, I had one 2LT who made more than his share of 2LT mistakes, and so I thought he was a below center of mass performer at the time. However, he clearly had the intelligence and ability to think and just needed some time to develop his leadership skills, and I got him a platoon sergeant who was the right fit to build his confidence and leadership skills. On the other hand, I had a platoon leader who was very strong tactically and was a marginal above center of mass performer (that seems like a contradiction in terms ). Yet, he lacked initiative and as such, seemed like someone who had the talent to excel beyond company command but would probably peak at company command.

While this is anecdotal, of my top four lieutenants, three of them got out once they had completed their initial service obligation.

Quote Originally Posted by Shek View Post
    I didn't find rating platoon leaders that difficult and it was amazing to see the separation that developed between them in terms of performance. The top and bottom ones clearly distinguished themselves, and it was clear who had the potential as they moved along.
    Agreed. It wasn't too hard to do as a commander, and I suspect it's much easier now that blocking's eliminated. I had six lieutenants. They stratified themselves on their own, and only some senior rater interference (my battalion commander was enamored with one of my poorer performers) kept things from being as they should be. Only two remain in the Army now. I really think that retention starts at the lower echelons; if we put as much work into keeping our young officers as we did first-term enlistees, we'd be good to go.

Council Member

Default bonus

All the guys in my battalion (self included) took the money. All the other options were programs that already existed. If in 3-5 years grad school, schools, etc... are not an option bc those slots were filled by the bonus, a few guys will likely leave. Rewarding service over performance is not good incentive.

The one captain getting out, loves the Army, and will probably join the Guard. His biggest complaint to me was everyone being promoted and rated equally. He saw no reward in killing himself while poorer performers were on the same track. I took the money option bc I was/am undecided on how long I will stay in. The grad School option is great if you know you're in.

One captain tried to take the Ranger School option. The Bn CDR told him he was stupid and said he would send him to the school if he wanted it that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by patmc View Post

One captain tried to take the Ranger School option. The Bn CDR told him he was stupid and said he would send him to the school if he wanted it that bad.
    ROTFL. Obviously, this guy's perfect for Ranger school!
    "A Sherman can give you a very nice... edge."- Oddball, Kelly's Heroes
    Who is Cavguy?

Council Member

LMAO! Touche! HAHAHA!

Quote Originally Posted by Cavguy View Post
    ROTFL. Obviously, this guy's perfect for Ranger school!
    "Speak English! said the Eaglet. "I don't know the meaning of half those long words, and what's more, I don't believe you do either!"

The Eaglet from Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland

Council Member

It's not such a bad deal, going to Ranger School...you get TWO meals a day now...

Default The question

It's not such a bad deal, going to Ranger School...you get TWO meals a day now...
    would be what one has to go through to get the second one
    Any man can destroy that which is around him, The rare man is he who can find beauty even in the darkest hours

Cogitationis poenam nemo patitur