This is a problem that will not be fixed for a long time.

The reduced officer manning levels at TRADOC occured under Shinseki's term as CSA. Remember when he dictated that all Divisional and below units will be manned at 100%? That cut TRADOC down to 50% of their authorized manning levels, and some Corps and higher level units were also severly impacted (Corps FA BN's especially). I submit that TRADOC needs to be expanded soon in order to meet the expanding Army - if the Army can actually recruit and retain 547K of personnel.

The CPT issue is a much broader problem as Cavguy deftly illustrates. The holes in the CPT rank today are going to be the holes in the MAJ/LTC/COL/GO levels of tomorrow. Are their staff billets that can be cut - oh hell yes. Why a DIV HQ requires 1000 people to man it is truly a mystery to me.

Plus there is job statisfaction to take into account - once Company Command is complete, for the most part, you are out of troop leading positions forever. Very few people actually command battalions and even less BCT's. Plus the command tours are so short because "everyone has to get their shot" and damn you to hell even if you are the second coming of Audie Murphy, Rommel and Wellington combined. There's an Auckenlick, Clark and Meade waiting behind you and "he needs to get his shot." As long as this mentality exists, and the best commanders are not kept in command positions, I suggest that we will never be truly successful in war. We'll muddle through at best.