Thread: Officer Retention

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default You forgot Improvise

"Improvise, Adapt and Overcome" - An unofficial mantra of the United States Marine Corps:

There's little in your user profile, so all I have to go on is your introduction and six subsequent posts. Honestly, with a user "handle" of Adapt and Overcome, I expected a tad more.

In the event you didn't already know...This motto is to remind troops how to perform under fire, even under the most dire conditions. But, it actually came from the fact that the Corps received Army hand-me-downs; thus poorly equipped. However and despite this set back, the Corps has been successful because of the creativity of her people and their overall attitude.

One could say that about all the U.S. Military branches.

Quote Originally Posted by AdaptAndOvercome View Post
    I am beginning to regret having made an introduction. One of the most enlightening posters here is marct who is an anthropologist. This site is so didactic because people from all different backgrounds contribute their diverse viewpoints.
    Your introduction says little to be regretful about. We accept the fact that you are still studying and we appreciate the fact you are joining the military. You could have told us what you are majoring in, your family status, where you come from, etc. It's hard to get a grip on things when there's so little to bite on. It's even harder to understand where you're coming from.

Frankly, it's beginning to sound like you have doubts about being a 2LT.

Quote Originally Posted by RTK View Post
    Let's be honest, your intro was thin gruel at best. So far your experiences are yours alone. You're going to have to overcome this feeling of inadequacy considering you'll be taking a platoon within the next two years full of junior enlisted soldiers and NCOs with 2 or 3 combat tours under their belt. You have to start somewhere.
    I will echo RTK's comments just a bit. If you're having a hard time now, you're going to be in for a real shock with your first senior NCO experience, when he bites your head off.

You gotta start somewhere. It's that, or somebody will have to convey how you want your remains handled.

Good luck with your studies.
    Last edited by Stan; 09-10-2007 at 02:56 PM.