Hey Marc,

I appreciate this pithy insight, this was something that I was not aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by marct View Post
To name just one, for Musashi, reincarnation was a proven fact, so the development of one's "self" as a warrior was in keeping with the fact that one was born as a warrior. This ties back in with the earlier, Vedic, discussion between Krishna and Arjuna on the role one plays in life and the duty that one has to that role. This really isn't the type of thinking (and perceiving) that Christianity or any of the JCI religions accept which, in turn, impacts styles of leadership, cosmological requirements for "leaders", and the responses one can expect from those one leads.
Back when I was living on Oahu we probably would have tried to see if there was at least something in a more laid back color/print before sending him on his way

Quote Originally Posted by marct View Post
The disjuncture gets even worse when he starts in on the 3rd Book. For example, can you imaging what would happen to any officer who told his commanders that he "became" his opponent and based his operations plans on that ability to "become"? My suspicion is that he would swiftly discover the joys of a white jacket with long arms .
Seed Magazine had an interesting posting on the intersection of music & math a while back: A Tel Aviv University professor melds math and sociology of the Internet to predict the next big thing in music

Professor Yuval Shavitt, of Tel Aviv University’s School of Electric Engineering, is melding math and sociology to describe mass behavior on the Internet. He is the principal investigator of DIMES, a project that hopes to map the structure and topology of the Internet, begun four years ago. And for the past year, he has used data-mining tools to collect and interpret massive amounts of data from file-sharing networks. By applying a decades-old sociological theory that describes the spread of information in social networks to the online world, he has been able to develop a predictive algorithm that identifies musicians who will ascend from local popularity to national stardom.
Even in math Watts and Strogatz, Barabasi-Albert timing is indeed important.