Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Officer Retention

Quote Originally Posted by slapout9 View Post
    Somebody say Amen....!!!!!!
    I can't. I have a dip in.
    Example is better than precept.

Council Member

Amen... I think you pretty much summed everything up.

?I don't get it.?

Default Sun Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by selil View Post
    Sun Tzu is great, but tell me how it relates to the current conflict and better yet give me a reasoned argument about how it was applied in a previous conflict and use that as a model in the future conflict that we don't know about. Tell me how the operation of a laser jet printer sitting on my desk is similar to the operation of a TOW 2 Missile System. Drawing correlations between disparate ideas to create new patterns of knowledge is what we are really trying to do. .
    Selil,

With all due repsect I have to take exception to your Sun Tzu comment. Sun Tzu (and Clausewitz for that matter) are not authors of "how to" books. They do not provide the answers to complex political-military problems within their pages. They stimulate critical thought and analysis. They can help you to learn how to think but not want to think. They are neither prescriptive nor proscriptive. Both authors contribute to the ideal leader that Clausewitz was trying to develop - one with coup d'oiel or the inner eye - e.g., the genius for war. A leader can only develop this through a combination of intellect/study combined with experience which is designed to create a commander (and leaders and staff at all levels) who can cut through the fog and friction of war and make the right decision at the right time. Every conflict can be analyzed using Sun Tzu and Clausewitz but the answer to the second part of your question is unanswerable. We don't directly "apply" Sun Tzu or Clausewitz in the Jominian sense (as in principles of war or a checklist or task list to accomplish) but through the study of Sun Tzu and Clausewitz military (and political) leaders are developed who can devise strategy, orchestrate campaigns and successfully execute operations across the spectrum of political-military conflict - and in today's realm of conflict as well.

Respectfully,

Dave
    David S. Maxwell
    "Irregular warfare is far more intellectual than a bayonet charge." T.E. Lawrence

Council Member

That's not what he was saying. The Quote you have is an example of the type of thinking and extrapolation that Blooms Taxonomy seeks to evaluate. He was not attacking Sun Tzu or Clausewitz. He using the questions to demonstrate the type of analysis he was describing. Take a look at Blooms Taxonomy here. It is not the best description but you can get the idea.

Adam

Default My mistake

Quote Originally Posted by Adam L View Post
    That's not what he was saying. The Quote you have is an example of the type of thinking and extrapolation that Blooms Taxonomy seeks to evaluate. He was not attacking Sun Tzu or Clausewitz. He using the questions to demonstrate the type of analysis he was describing. Take a look at Blooms Taxonomy here. It is not the best description but you can get the idea.

Adam
    Adam,

I can see your point. Sorry I did not see it that way at first. Upon first reading it came across as an attack on Sun Tzu to which I will always take exception.

V/R

Dave
    David S. Maxwell
    "Irregular warfare is far more intellectual than a bayonet charge." T.E. Lawrence

Quote Originally Posted by RTK View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam L View Post
    ?I don't get it.?
    Adam, allow me to clarify from the Urban Dictionary

Dip is a form of smokeless tobacco that is cut more fine than regualar chewing tobacco. Large amounts of nicotine are absorbed through the gums and mouth tissue and goes directly to the blood stream, creating a buzz that lasts around 15 minutes. This buzz only lasts until you become tolerant to the drug; people who are heavy users only receive a state of satisfaction and relaxation.
    I'm however unsure just how much RTK needs for a buzz

Council Member

Adam,

I can see your point. Sorry I did not see it that way at first. Upon first reading it came across as an attack on Sun Tzu to which I will always take exception.

V/R

Dave
    I'm exactly the same way.

Adam, allow me to clarify from the Urban Dictionary

Quote:
    Dip is a form of smokeless tobacco that is cut more fine than regualar chewing tobacco. Large amounts of nicotine are absorbed through the gums and mouth tissue and goes directly to the blood stream, creating a buzz that lasts around 15 minutes. This buzz only lasts until you become tolerant to the drug; people who are heavy users only receive a state of satisfaction and relaxation.
    I'm however unsure just how much RTK needs for a buzz
    Thanks for the explanation!

Adam

Adam L - Don't feel bad. As a fellow New Yorker, I never knew what dip was until I went to School of Infantry.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by tequila View Post
    Adam L - Don't feel bad. As a fellow New Yorker, I never knew what dip was until I went to School of Infantry.
    Thanks. I don't know if I felt bad, just really confused. LOL

Thanks,
    Adam

And one should never confuse dip with dipsh#t.

Default Culture Violation

Being from the cultural center of the Universe let me splain this stuff to y'all.

You Dip.....Snuff......from a can!

Dipping is the proper TTP to used against the target....a can a snuff!

Not to be confused with a chaw of tobacco. A chaw is bite of chewing tobacco. Or properly expressed as "I'm gonna git me a chaw of bacco"
    Last edited by slapout9; 09-11-2007 at 02:22 PM. Reason: fix stuff

Being from the cultural center of the Universe let me splain this stuff to y'all.

Not to be confused with a chaw of tobacco. A chaw is bite of chewing tobacco. Or properly expressed as "I'm gonna git me a chaw of bacco"
    Slap, You should be editing the Urban Dictionary for the folks in Lower Alabama, etc.

I thinks this dude's got a bit much in his mouth...aye ?
    Last edited by Stan; 01-09-2008 at 08:23 PM.

Urban Dictionary????? sounds like a book for Yankees.

That picture is nasty

Slap, You should be editing the Urban Dictionary for the folks in Lower Alabama, etc.
    Urban in lower Alabame? Is that a trailer park?

Urban Dictionary????? sounds like a book for Yankees.

That picture is nasty

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Odom View Post
    Urban in lower Alabame? Is that a trailer park?
    Urban Dictionary makes up for what youtube lacks...class

LA is a trailer Park, Tom !

Goesh is on-line, and this will only get better

Yawl boys grew up deprived. I was born and raised in the Hudson River Valley, but I managed to have a few excursions out of the Empire State when I was coming along that enabled me to know about dipping and chewing (or more correctly, chawin'). You might want to investigate things like Skoal and Copenhagen. The phrase "...just a pinch between cheek and gum. . . " comes to mind. Now the joys of Beechnut (and I don't mean the chewing gum) and Red Man are a wholely different matter.

Slapout,
    While I agree about your locale as being close to the cultural center of the universe (actually I think it is in Scotland Neck, NC) you want to be careful talking about snuff outside of the US. When I was stationed in Germany, we used to do snuff rounds with the owner of our favorite Gasthaus--it definitely had no relation to dipping smokeless. Nose-blowing the next morning was always a disgusting experience.

We always called a trailer park the county seat. Thats where the Guvmint is and all they do is sit around.

wm, I got kin folks in Maggies Valley,NC.

A pinch of snuff is the female TTP.

We always called a trailer park the county seat. Thats where the Guvmint is and all they do is sit around.

No one sits around too much in a trailer parker during a tornado or hurricane. Seeing what the wind does to them explains why some folks call them "mobile homes."

I mentioned the "pinch" for those "rookies" from NY who probably aren't up to much more than that for starters.

"Resources are over-stretched. Frustration is up, as families are separated and strained. Morale is down. Recruitment is more difficult. And many of our best people in the military are headed for civilian life...This is not the way that a great nation should reward courage and idealism...we will not be permanent peacekeepers dividing warring parties."

Governor George Bush, speech at the Citadel, September 23, 1999
    Last edited by SteveMetz; 09-11-2007 at 04:19 PM.

Default Doggone it. I KNEW LA was ahead of us...

Here on the Redneck Riviairy, our Trailer Parks are used for more, er, exotic -- that's the word -- pursuits...

Not only that but their English is more refined up there, down here it's just "Gimme a chaw."