Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
So I've herd some reasons why the US might wish to target civilians but how 'bout some talk on why AQ and other such groups actively do. I think it has to do with an expanded idea of 'enemy', or at least a broad contempt for the potential casualties, stemming from an elitist world-view; like the believer / infidel distinction in Islam or revolutionary vanguard / everyone else split in Marxism. The identification of them, as less than us, excuses all sorts of violence.

But another reason could be that the group in question stands to benefit from the violence, or rather the hatred, fear and continued violence it provokes. Specifically, in Iraq violence begets more violence but the US needs Iraq pacified. This necessities the continued occupation of the country which directly accomplishes AQ goal of engaging US troops in an extended conflict.

In short, AQ targets civilians because conflict it provokes furthers their goals while the US does not because it needs Iraq pacified to secure its goals.

my .02
Evan
Terrorists in general tend to target civilians for a number of reasons. First, they're an easy target. No serious security means you can get in close without too much trouble. Second, it's guaranteed media exposure. That ties in with intimidating the population, which is often a goal to create a neutral operations space or to undermine will and morale. And of course there's always the point that (in my view, and especially with the top-end terrorist groups) killing becomes in its own way addictive. Once most groups start down that spiral they don't come back. The action becomes more important than the message, or becomes the message itself. Once that happens, they look for easy targets that will make a big splash. Civilians are "easy" for them and an automatic run on CNN or wherever.