Thread: John Robb, "Brave New War", and Group Size

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

All good points, which I can't disagree, but I'm wondering if those that participate the most are actually below the range of 150 members. I don't know because I only participate on certain topics and on occassion have fallen under the table for breaking rules for which I take responsibility and was handled fairly. It is just a coincidence that I had a similar experience while reading that particular chapter of Robb's book and posting this thread. I guess on occassion I have participated as one that takes risks and overly optimistic as mentioned above as a sign of a member participating in group think (Illusion of Invulnerability).

SWC/SWJ/SWJ Blog is pretty dynamic when you consider Communities of Practice in general. The members largely police themselves, and care enough about the site to raise issues about its health, assist new members in contributing and maintaining a standard of inclusiveness to those willing to participate in the discussion of war and its related topics. As long as we continue to so, we will probably remain in good health.
    That pretty much sums up my motivation for starting this thread to begin with. I like this site and we should review this topic from time-to-time to make sure we don't become ineffective as a group. As individuals we should all be aware of the causes and consequences of a group falling prey to group think. Including myself.
    "But suppose everybody on our side felt that way?"
    "Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way. Wouldn't I?"

Hi Culpeper,

Quote Originally Posted by Culpeper View Post
    All good points, which I can't disagree, but I'm wondering if those that participate the most are actually below the range of 150 members.
    Right now we are at 1255 registered members so if the 1:10:100 rule is holding, then we should have around 125 active posters. Of course, that's leaving out the lurkers who haven't bothered to register, so I just can't guess what the real figure is .

I don't know because I only participate on certain topics and on occassion have fallen under the table for breaking rules for which I take responsibility and was handled fairly. It is just a coincidence that I had a similar experience while reading that particular chapter of Robb's book and posting this thread. I guess on occassion I have participated as one that takes risks and overly optimistic as mentioned above as a sign of a member participating in group think (Illusion of Invulnerability).
    I think it happens to all of us at one time or another. I know I've run into some situations where my assumptions were radically different from most of the people here - I guess it's that Canadian, academic, non-military background of mine .

In some ways, I suspect that the group think phenomenon is more likely to show up in areas where people share basic assumptions about "reality" and the focus of that community is more, hmmm, "fixed" let's say. Because our focus is "small wars" which, inherently, are all different, I think we have a built in advantage of sorts.

That pretty much sums up my motivation for starting this thread to begin with. I like this site and we should review this topic from time-to-time to make sure we don't become ineffective as a group. As individuals we should all be aware of the causes and consequences of a group falling prey to group think. Including myself.
    That's a really good point. I mean, we've gone from ~3k unique visits per month this time last year to over 70k last month. That's a huge increase, and we are seeing some of the effects of it. Personally, I think Bill and Dave have done one Hades of a great job in holding this all together and expanding it.

I'm really glad that you brought the topic up because you are absolutely right - we could move to a group think, at least in some areas. So, what would you suggest that we, as a community and a council, do to help avoid that trap? Are there any new structures or rules you think would help?

Marc
    Sic Bisquitus Disintegrat...
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Institute of Interdisciplinary Studies,
    Senior Research Fellow,
    The Canadian Centre for Intelligence and Security Studies, NPSIA
    Carleton University
    http://marctyrrell.com/

I pointed them out using "#" style bullets above. Its more of an academic textbook approach but it something that we can take and give from. Ultimately, it is up to the administrators. Like I intimated before, I was taking my own inventory and wondering if I was contributing or taking away from the group. Obviously, I would rather contribute to the group than post something that may be misinterpreted. I don't get my feeling hurt very easily and my fallacy is that I assume everyone should feel that way as well. So, I know what my shortcomings are on the SWC and work on them. I guess what I'm trying to state is that group think can be avoided if we are educated on the subject so that as individuals we can take steps in understanding the "company language" over time. I think we all fall back on our areas of most knowledge. For me that would be military enlistment under poor leadership, my education in history and accounting (which made me a liberal arts major around a bunch of accountants and auditors), and a large patriotic core. So, at this point of my membership with the SWC I need to ask myself what can I bring to the table that is productive and still bring my style of sarcastic liberal arts humor. BTW, I recently did the latter against the same type of humor, which was sort of stupid. I didn't like someone's interpretation of this type of humor (meant to be funny or inflict a wound on the reader) and I responded with the same type of humor, which in itself, was interpreted differently by someone else. Does that make sense? I'm a freakish cross between Hunter S. Thompson and Fred Thompson. I'm not trying to sell a book but I should be more careful about how others may interpret something I post; i.e. offensive, irrelevant, or insulting. For example: "Enough about me. Let's talk about you. What do you think about me?" So, to avoid a group think mentality we should take responsibility as individuals to steer the group clear. We can only do that if we understand group think and I believe Robb's topic on this subject is enlightening. Most everything else he wrote about I took mostly as amalgamated abstracts but this particular part of the book I found very interesting at the right time and space.
    Last edited by Culpeper; 09-07-2007 at 12:27 AM.
    "But suppose everybody on our side felt that way?"
    "Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way. Wouldn't I?"