Thread: BUFFs

Default BUFFs

From the crew dogs up the road at 2d Bomb Group--I have Dru Blair's In Praise of Older Bombers on my office wall signed by a 2d Bomb Grooup crew that flew OEF I support, in the 50th anniversary year of the B52. Amazing birds, the BUFFs.

Shreveport (LA) Times
    August 26, 2007

Barksdale Bombers Expand B-52's Capabilities

Recreation of historic 1938 mission points to future

By John Andrew Prime

Three Barksdale Air Force Base B-52s used a modern twist to a historic mission almost 70 years old to add a dramatic new capability to the bomber's long list of tricks.

Flying almost 10 hours and putting about 3,500 miles under their wings Friday, the trio of veteran bombers pinpointed a specific ship several hundred miles east of Bermuda then spent two hours gathering images and information about it.

In May 1938, three B-17 bombers from what was then the 2nd Bomb Group intercepted the Italian cruise liner Rex several hundred miles east of New York City.

Default "That is no problem. It is such a cool machine,"

the Russian was quoted as saying.

I've seen my share of C12s, 130s, 141s, and broken C5s on Sub-Saharas tarmacs, but nobody ever offered to buy one, not even the Russian Spies

An astounded member of the U.S. delegation said the bomber was not for sale but that it would cost at least $500 million if it were to be sold on the spot.

MOSCOW (Reuters) - A wealthy Russian tried to buy a U.S. B-52 bomber from a group of shocked American pilots at an airshow near Moscow, a Russian newspaper reported Friday.

The unidentified Russian, wearing sunglasses and surrounded by bodyguards, approached the U.S. delegation and asked to buy the bomber, the Komsomolskaya Pravda newspaper said.
    Last edited by Stan; 01-09-2008 at 08:22 PM.