Quote Originally Posted by Jedburgh View Post
That is why I stated that I usually take a hard look at pubs when they are preceded or launched with a bunch of publicity. Often they're no more than tripe put out by the latest parasite to cash in on fast-food publishing on the GWOT. Even reputable providers get caught up in it - RAND has published a a couple of over-hyped damp squibs on terrorism in the past couple of years, and Jane's is guilty of the same. But the "e-mail link" does not address Hafez's book, and only mentions him in passing as a member of the panel being "level headed".

And even though you simply quote a publicity blurb from the USIP site and not the book itself, I will say that yes, we've discussed much of it on the board before, and, of course, all of it is open-source. I still find it a solid piece. They guy put quite a bit together into one decently constructed volume. For those who aren't SMEs, I recommend it - and for those who already consider themselves knowledgeable on the subject, I still say its a good read. Why do you feel so strongly abouting stating reservations about book that you have not read?

Although in many cases that is certainly applicable in looking at the source, it is still a general statement, with all the perils that lie therein. And in broader terms, over the years I have found it is dangerous to summarily dismiss someone simply because you haven't heard of him - in working projects on various parts of the world I've run into true subject-matter experts whose names I had never previously run across, even though I've been working in the field for a little while.....
I won't condense your response, but will comment on the following:
Quote Originally Posted by Jedburgh View Post
Why do you feel so strongly abouting stating reservations about book that you have not read?
I quoted what was provided to me, and I think I even stated said.

I refer to recommendations from members herein regarding endless books and conferences that cost mucho bucks, and rarely solve problems. What I did say was that "I heard a story about Hafez and others". There's little strong language in that sentence, yet alone belief.

I did not say I read the book, rather quoted a 17-year veteran from an LE Anti-Terroism branch. If however given the choice of believing one or the other, I'll stick with the Brit from MET for now.

I don't do RAND, nor have I ever quoted them.