Thread: Company Level Intelligence Led Operations

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thumbs up CoiST Operations

CALL is/was producing a CoiST Manual from all of them when I left. Having seen the NTC CoiST Manual, they are invaluable to the Company level Soldiers. Units should get them in the hands of the Units well in advance to deployment to the CTCs though.

Default CoIST training

My task has trained most if not all of the Army units with a CoIST that are currently deployed. We have numerous examples of unit developed SOP as well as lessons learned from various deployments. One thing we try to capture from every unit is what tasks the Company teams are actually perfoming as well as what communication systems they use to share information with other Companies and the BN level. I would be interested in what practices you observed while you are there.

You need to get a hold of a point of contact with the Marine Corps' Center for Lessons Learned. There is a document in their possession (I cannot recall if it is part of a discussion forum thread) that details a CLIC product generated by a 23d Marines (right Regt?) battalion team that built something called C-Server from scratch.

This html-based application was just one piece of the puzzle with establishing effective CLIC production. I think it was around 2005-2006 vintage, and never went mainstream, but the Reservists who built it really did get it.

I don't have contacts beyond that, but you are welcome to embed with our battalion for a while, as we are about to start working the CLIC training program to build out our cells.

Shoot me a PM with your questions, if you still need input. I've been around since the CLIC was a buzzword for the Corps in late 2003. Not sure if that's when your timeline begins...

Part of our problems stem from the transmission path. Not being able to push information up, down, or laterally is a death blow to the effort.

Council Member

Cheers for all the replies, folks! Various PMs sent.