Thread: Question for writers

Council Member

Default Question for writers

Don't know if the question really fits in this section, but I'll give it a shot.

How do I properly cite (MLA) the published version of the COIN manual? I can't find information anywhere that shows how to cite a field manual.

Thanks
    Ken

Council Member

Default Citations

After you look at the Chicago Manual of Style, Turabian, and others, perhaps the best answer is common sense. What i want from my students and try to give my readers is the information they need to look upr the citation directly. That means the author, title, publisher, date and location of publication, ISBN # or enough of those to be relevant. Who is the author of FM 3 - 24? For the record, it is David Petraeus but that is less than the whole story - it was a writing team. So the best citable author is probably DA...
    Unless you are writng for someone who is a stickler for a particular style, this approach should work. If not, ask the person you are writing for what he wants.
    Hope this helps a bit.

JohnT

You can also use the government publication citation style for this FM, although the published version would be from the University of Chicago. Take a look at some of the student papers online at the Air University or CGSC for some other examples of this sort of citation.
    "On the plains and mountains of the American West, the United States Army had once learned everything there was to learn about hit-and-run tactics and guerrilla warfare."
    T.R. Fehrenbach This Kind of War

As an example from Leavenworth Paper #16 on Depuy and the 1976 version on FM 100-5

U.S. Department of the Army, FM 100-5, Operations, July 1976, hereafter cited as FM 100-5 (1976).
    best

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by skiguy View Post
    Don't know if the question really fits in this section, but I'll give it a shot.

How do I properly cite (MLA) the published version of the COIN manual? I can't find information anywhere that shows how to cite a field manual.

Thanks
    Ken
    Here's the way I do:

Field Manual (FM) 3-24/Marine Corps Warfighting Publication (MCWP) 3-33.5, Counterinsurgency (Washington, DC: Headquarters, Department of the Army and Headquarters, United States Marine Corps, December 2006).

Council Member

Thank you, gentlemen.

Default Here is how my Think Tank's style sheet in Endnote spits it out:

Headquarters Department of the Army. FM 3-24 Counterinsurgency. Washington DC, United States Government, 2006.

I believe that it is loosely based on the Chicago system.

Cheers

Mark

Default An additional thanks...

... I've had to use official docs in foot / end notes and have sort of winged it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark O'Neill View Post
    Headquarters Department of the Army. FM 3-24 Counterinsurgency. Washington DC, United States Government, 2006.

I believe that it is loosely based on the Chicago system.

Cheers

Mark

I use end note too.. It depends on which style you have chosen in the templates for the output. I use IEEE, ACM, and APA5.
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog
    Don't forget to duck Secret Squirrel
    The scholarship of teaching and learning results in equal hatred from latte leftists and cappuccino conservatives.
    All opinions are mine and may or may not reflect those of my employer depending on the chance it might affect funding, politics, or the setting of the sun. As such these are my opinions you can get your own.