I was thinking of doldrums as well David. I've also taken note of the topics "guests" tend to view, and they are as broad and wide as is the issue of small wars.

Then we get to the Journal, where we see a very broad range of input and the authors are very happy to defend their work against critique and comment--in the comments section mostly. I read that as a belief that there is simply more personal value (to these guests) to have an article published in the Journal. That, or the current lack of peer review allows for a lower standard of critical thought and the investment of personal time is viewed as somehow worth effort, as compared to discussing said topic across 8 pages of SWC comments.

I instigated a remodel of the Council around 2007 if I remember correctly, and activity exploded as a result. Perhaps SWC is simply in a natural recession of sorts that has to compete with people's creative spare time in the Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram realms. I only use one of those formats (IG), and I can how that consumes time if I am not careful.