Thread: Brits develop Mad Max Taliban chase vehicle

Council Member

Default Brits develop Mad Max Taliban chase vehicle

You can see a photo and a description here.

It is an open vehicle with several weapons mounted in various positions. Crew protection does not appear to have been a consideration. It is suppose to be a pretty fast off road vehicle.

I'll take 5 of them - what other colors do they come in

Council Member

It's been under development for a few years now, it's based on the Supacat HMT here: http://www.supacat.com/supacat_products_hmt400.htm

They have partnered with LockMart for US production, from the Supacat website:
    The all-new HMT is destined to become a benchmark in off-road performance with customers so far in Europe and North America. Lockheed Martin Corporation has created a new Tactical Wheeled Vehicles business in the USA to develop the market for HMT in North America, and in 2006 acquired all rights to the HMT design by purchasing HMT Vehicles Ltd.

This will be a mobility vehicle and going in the opposite direction than the US and our MRAP's which relys on massive armour

Default Its all about the conditions

I like MRAPs for sustained operations in urban environments where IEDs will likely appear - but I l can see a couple of these coming out of a C-130 or some other type of lift to provide an overmatch in tactical mobility and firepower for small units. It also enhances the comms and sustainability if operating in remote terrain.

Pick the right tool for the right mission set

If things really ever get bad enough on the border with well armed narco gangs and their allies - this could be a very handy rig in providing our folks the right tools to keep the edge.

Default This Is What Me and Goesh use

Default Hmm. Blue; check. Drives in circles; check. However,

didn't see him stop for doughnuts...

(I have to say that here; both my cop kids won't tolerate it )

BTW, on a serious note and totally off thread, what's with the many Depts. going all nostalgic and changing cars back to Black and Whites?

Back on thread, the current craze for armored or MRAP vehicles is the answer to a particular threat at a particular time. For most LRP missions, an unarmored vehicle is far more preferable. Has to be as big as that one at the top of the thread to carry the heavy load required for week and longer missions.

Here's' the Australian counterpart which has been quite successful LINK.

They're looking for a new one as the current 6x6 Land Rover has seen some hard use in Afghanistan and Iraq over the last five years.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
    Back on thread, the current craze for armored or MRAP vehicles is the answer to a particular threat at a particular time. For most LRP missions, an unarmored vehicle is far more preferable. Has to be as big as that one at the top of the thread to carry the heavy load required for week and longer missions.
    I would have taken the dune buggy on steroids in the middle of the desert for the same reasons you state here. That thing would have rocked.

Quote Originally Posted by slapout9 View Post
    Was that guy the night janitor? Looks like he's got some tire marks to clean up....
    Example is better than precept.

Quote Originally Posted by RTK View Post
    I would have taken the dune buggy on steroids in the middle of the desert for the same reasons you state here. That thing would have rocked.

Was that guy the night janitor? Looks like he's got some tire marks to clean up....

Nah... he WAS that pilot of the B52 that didn't know he had nukes on board, this is his new career.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Merv Benson View Post
    You can see a photo and a description here.

It is an open vehicle with several weapons mounted in various positions. Crew protection does not appear to have been a consideration. It is suppose to be a pretty fast off road vehicle.
    It appears to be simply a natural evolution to a modern equivalent of the vehicles used by the LRDG & SAS in WWII. It certainly appears to outclass the the variously modified armed LandRovers that have filled that mission need since that time.

Council Member

Default Choice of colors?

Rob said:

I'll take 5 of them - what other colors do they come in
    With an order that size, you can probably get it in Mary Kay pink.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Merv Benson View Post
    Rob said:
    With an order that size, you can probably get it in Mary Kay pink.
    Mark Kay pink, versus British Army "pink panther" pink (WWII LRDG pink was a similar colour.)

Which goes better with your eyes, Rob?

While on the subject of Mad Max chase vehicles, I'm waiting for a military version of this!
    Last edited by Rex Brynen; 09-07-2007 at 05:48 PM.

Council Member

Default What a concept!

Isn't it amazing how this concept has stood the test of time.

<--------------It's a brilliant vehicle.

They certainly came in useful in North Africa. You have to miss the simplicity of and repairability of the Willy's Jeep.