Quote Originally Posted by Cavguy View Post
Can you point me to a book source for these quotes - google has failed me. I want to use them in a paper.
The War Between the Generals (Irving). Unfortunately, I gave my copy to one of my sons and I can't give you the page number. Irving has been discredited as a holocaust denier and he's sort of anti UK /US in tone but that book came out long before he went off the deep end and while some of it has been refuted, most agree his anecdotes are probably correct because that was his specialty as an amateur historian; gossip. I should have said "or words to that effect," as well -- my quote was accurate in intent but it's been a while, 25 years or so, since I read the book so it's probably not verbatim. That recollection, like the source of the other is good enough for a forum but not for a paper.

The Grand Duke Constantine quote is from Strategy Page (LINK). Hutchinson gets wild now and then but he does do a lot of research, I suspect it's probably true. Like you, I had no luck on Google but I did turn up this LINK to a paper that suggests he might well have said that and more...

The Wikipedia article would seem to bear that out... LINK. Not much help and I'm sure you saw both.

If I can get hold of the kid, I'll get him to check the book and I'll also look for more on the Romanov quote.