I can only speak from the two tours I have done in Iraq, so here it goes...
1. Our BDE CSM is an OUTSTANDING leader. Like I said in an earlier post, he was constantly on missions.
2. Our CO went on missions a bunch of times, but only at his convenience. (rightfully so)
3. Our First SGT went on a total of 3 missions, but everyone knew he wasn't up for the task, he was just doing his time. The reality of this is that we knew that going in. Our PLT SGTs made up for it. The lower ranks caught on about half way through the last tour. We explained it away and kept the lowers off the subject.
Our CO did NOT have a PSD, but our mission was not heavily laden with tasks requiring him to be on the forefront. The only reason the CSM had one is because he had troops in 3-4 different AO's.
To sum up my explination...i can see how some first timers, or newbies can get fed up with poor leaders, but the "poor leaders" are few and far between. The fix? Strive to be a better soldier than those leaders. Hell, strive to be a better leader than the good ones. Every soldier can take notes from good leaders on how to, and from poor leaders on how NOT to.