Thread: How the West was Won (well, at least Ramadi)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default How to interpet this???

The WP ran an article about an emgagement outside Ramadi back in mid-August in which US forces discovered and beat back an estimated 70 AQI folks (with maybe 50% casualties to the AQI force) whose ostensible target was this sheik. I think it was called the Battle of Turtle Island but my memory may well be defective as to the island's name. The subsequent death of the sheik may make a point about the tenacity and dedication of the opposition, especially because Abdul Sattar assuredly had pretty significant protection in place. Alternatively, one might instead choose to accept that it was an inside job committed by one of his supposed allies--shades of Mario Puzo's Godfather.

I think it's pretty safe to say that al-Rishawi had many, many enemies, only one of whom was AQI.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by wm
    The WP ran an article about an engagement outside Ramadi back in mid-August in which US forces discovered and beat back an estimated 70 AQI folks (with maybe 50% casualties to the AQI force) whose ostensible target was this sheik. I think it was called the Battle of Turtle Island but my memory may well be defective as to the island's name....
    The article is linked in this earlier discussion thread: Fight on Donkey Island

It isn't known if the sheikh was the specific target of the bad guys rolled back in that engagement, but your memory of the article isn't too bad - his name was mentioned in it more generally as a target:
    ....The fighters targeted tribal leaders and police in Ramadi, according to U.S. military intelligence and video footage shot by the insurgents before the planned attack. In one video, an Islamic State of Iraq fighter dives into a lake, waves his fist and threatens Sheik Abdul Sattar Buzaigh al-Rishawi, who founded the main pro-U.S. tribal alliance, known as the Anbar Awakening. Sattar is "a dog of Anbar," the fighter said.

Council Member

Default The Great Awakening is spreading

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle2971288.ece

The Americans had hit a goldmine in Mr al-Obeidi. With his intelligence skills and local gunmen, they suddenly found that they could identify an elusive enemy. The former insurgents knew exactly where to find the Islamists and their weapons. Within a month Mr al-Obeidi’s men had led the Americans on a series of raids that swept the Islamists from Amariyah.

The recent turning of Sunni tribes and insurgents against al-Qaeda in western Iraq and Baghdad has become known as the Sunni Awakening. Here, however, it is more of a national awakening — Mr al-Obeidi’s 600- man force includes disillusioned Shia soldiers as well as Sunni former officers who had worked secretly for the US.

Good news story, but some good news stories are left better untold. I wish Mr al-Obeidi success and safety.