Thread: CALL Handbook 07-34 PRT Playbook

Default CALL Handbook 07-34 PRT Playbook

CALL Handbook 07-34 PRT Playbook

Happy to say that this one can be downloaded without needing speciall access. If you are working interagency on the ground, this one is a good tool for you.

Best

Tom
    Last edited by Tom Odom; 09-10-2007 at 05:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Odom View Post
    CALL Handbook 07-34 PRT Playbook

Happy to say that this one can be downloaded without needing speciall access. If you are working interagency on the ground, this one is a good tool for you.

Best

Tom
    Tom, Well Done!
    I appreciate the enormous amount of effort that went into this, and really enjoyed page 46, "Operating as a Team of Equals" and "Identifying Different Strengths".

PRT members should recognize what each individual brings to the mission, as well as the expertise their agency provides. Each member should see how his skills and his agency’s skills complement the skill sets of other PRT members. Together, the civilian and military components of the team create a shared platform that serves as a critical link between their respective organizations, enabling a more creative application of the full range of USG expertise to address the identified host-country needs in semi-permissive and remote environments.
    Now if we could only get the State dudes to ready this backwards
    Last edited by Tom Odom; 09-10-2007 at 05:46 PM.

Thanks mate!

I had nothing to do with this one but I did put the link up

that said, it is a good piece of work--if read and understood ahead of time. otherwise, we end up squabbling over who pays rent and who does not

Best

Tom

Default First Look

I've been waiting for such a publication for some time.

When I deployed to Iraq in 2004 as a CA Team Leader we had little relevant training that would have helped us do our work. Being a Bosnia vet helped a lot but CAPOC could have done more than PT us into the ground every day.

Earlier this year I was again in Iraq this time with USAID and made it a point to ask my former brothers in arms about their pre-deployment training. They did a jump at Bragg and all that goes with preparing for a safe jump. No CERP training, little cultural training, no COIN awareness but a lot of PT and range time. Most of their work in country was taken up with conducting local assessments with little understanding of the significance of that crucial mission. How do we know what the people of Iraq really think?

My first look at the cover makes me wonder if the army should talk to someone in the publishing industry before it creates a cover for such an important book. I hope you can't tell this book by its cover as it seems to reinforce the common misperception that you can win over an insurgent controlled population simply by giving out soccer balls or getting a small child to laugh. Looking at the cover might cause a hard-bitten third tour grunt to dismiss the valuable lesson that I hope are inside.

Instead of the touchy-feely pics on the current cover I'd have pics of a team sitting down with a local community leader asking relevant questions, conducting over-sight of the drilling of a CERP funded water well and most critically training their Iraqi counter-parts in military civic-action TTPs.

Back in Iraq next month.

Creon01

Quote Originally Posted by Creon01 View Post
    Instead of the touchy-feely pics on the current cover I'd have pics of a team sitting down with a local community leader asking relevant questions, conducting over-sight of the drilling of a CERP funded water well and most critically training their Iraqi counter-parts in military civic-action TTPs.
    Creon01, Welcome to the forum. Be safe on your next tour.

If I might ask given your background; what are the best practices at the tactical level that you have seen the most success along these lines? What are the best practices for platoons and company sized elements to help you do your job?
    Example is better than precept.

Quote Originally Posted by Creon01 View Post
    I've been waiting for such a publication for some time.

When I deployed to Iraq in 2004 as a CA Team Leader we had little relevant training that would have helped us do our work. Being a Bosnia vet helped a lot but CAPOC could have done more than PT us into the ground every day.

Earlier this year I was again in Iraq this time with USAID and made it a point to ask my former brothers in arms about their pre-deployment training. They did a jump at Bragg and all that goes with preparing for a safe jump. No CERP training, little cultural training, no COIN awareness but a lot of PT and range time. Most of their work in country was taken up with conducting local assessments with little understanding of the significance of that crucial mission. How do we know what the people of Iraq really think?

My first look at the cover makes me wonder if the army should talk to someone in the publishing industry before it creates a cover for such an important book. I hope you can't tell this book by its cover as it seems to reinforce the common misperception that you can win over an insurgent controlled population simply by giving out soccer balls or getting a small child to laugh. Looking at the cover might cause a hard-bitten third tour grunt to dismiss the valuable lesson that I hope are inside.

Back in Iraq next month.

Creon01
    Creon,

A cover on a book is a cover; what counts is what is inside. I would suggest that you take the time to write down some of your experiences and share them. After you deployed in 2004 did you consider writing down what you learned?

I can help you with that as can my headquarters. There are several companions to this handbook but you will need to log on to access them.

best

Tom

http://call.army.mil/docs/07-34/toc.asp

The previosuly posted link wasn't working when I went looking, but after a resumed search, I found the html links where the same info (minus .jpeg or .bmp figures perhaps) can be downloaded by chapter.

El Gorah, Egypt, by way of Kuala Lumpur & Bujumbura. Sometimes I actually live in Washington, DC.

Tom (& jcustis!) --

thanks for posting the links to this...I'm heading out to a PRT in Iraq in September, and I do plan to read this backwards and forwards, along with parts of FM 03-24 and the newly-published USG COIN Guide.

I'm slated to take part in a pre-deployment field exercise at JRTC in August, and I'm curious how much of the material in this book and the others (FM 03-24, COIN Guide, etc) will be reflected in the program?

All in all, lots of really good stuff, especially for those of us in DOS.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisleslie View Post
    Tom (& jcustis!) --

thanks for posting the links to this...I'm heading out to a PRT in Iraq in September, and I do plan to read this backwards and forwards, along with parts of FM 03-24 and the newly-published USG COIN Guide.

I'm slated to take part in a pre-deployment field exercise at JRTC in August, and I'm curious how much of the material in this book and the others (FM 03-24, COIN Guide, etc) will be reflected in the program?

All in all, lots of really good stuff, especially for those of us in DOS.
    Chris,

On JRTC you will see a lot of the same material --I normally work there.

Do you know which PRT you are going to? If Baghdad, I will most likely see you.

Best
    Tom

Default Other Useful CALL pubs

Chris

Look also at the following CALL pubs. You will need to request access via the CALL web site to download them. Go to http://call.army.mil

FOUO version Handbook 07-11 PRT TTPs

FOUO Handbook 08-12 Commander's Emergency Response Program (CERP) TTPs

Best
    Tom

El Gorah, Egypt, by way of Kuala Lumpur & Bujumbura. Sometimes I actually live in Washington, DC.

Default PRT assignment

Tom,

thanks for the links and info I'll be sure to get access to them and give them a read. Following my current assignment with the MFO in the Sinai, I'm headed back to CONUS for about 5 weeks of training, including a 9-day field ex at JRTC, and then on to Iraq. I've been assigned to PRT Babil, and I'm pretty stoked to get out there.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisleslie View Post
    Tom,

thanks for the links and info I'll be sure to get access to them and give them a read. Following my current assignment with the MFO in the Sinai, I'm headed back to CONUS for about 5 weeks of training, including a 9-day field ex at JRTC, and then on to Iraq. I've been assigned to PRT Babil, and I'm pretty stoked to get out there.
    We'll get together somehow for a non-virtual SWJ meeting. There are a few of us here

Tom