In response to jedburgh:
1) Probable is too strong a word. Big mistake on my part. I also did a terrible job writing this post. It does read a bit like that.
Sorry, I saw it in my head, but it wasn't what I put on the paper.

Still, I think you are reading a bit much into this. Take a look at it from my point of view. (see below)

2) When I was referring to U.S. security I was hinting at our economic security (something we seem to no longer safeguard.) Having lived in Calgary, AB for a few years I became very familiar with the oil and natural gas industry. Mexico is absolutely key to our supply of both of these sources. Too many interests in Central America and the Gulf filter too us from Mexico.
3) I am most concerned about certain weapons (guns, I am not a nutcase claiming they've got a nuke) making their way up from South America (its happened before.) This offensive on drug cartels may very well destabilize the country due to the power void that may very well open up.
4) If we thought opium was flooding the market think about what this will do to cocaine. The cheaper merchandise gets the more dealers are going to fight over their share of the market.
5) Truckers are not going to benefit from access to Mexico. Right now it is cheaper for companies to switch drivers at the border (it still will be after this.) Mexican drivers will drive for nada.
6) People who are poor and desperate are more susceptible to being coerced into criminal activity. You can see this everyday especially with people coming into the U.S. The last thing we need is more truck drivers who are willing to risk smuggling cargo. Hey, for a lot of these guys a U.S. prison is an upgrade. This is why I am less worried about our other neighbor.
7) I do think we need inspection at the Canadian border, they're a problem too.
8) Think about what it's going to be like for big city cops the next few years.

However, there are certainly plenty of isolationists, opponents of free-trade and globalization, and others with an axe to grind who will dredge up all kinds of potential threats and manufacture one nexus of crime and mayhem after another in an attempt to build up enough political influence to put a halt to the agreement. However, many of these yokels tend to forget, or overlook, that the agreement also includes Mexico permitting US truckers to cross into their country for the first time ever. They certainly overlook many Mexican's perceptions of this agreement as an economic threat to their own trucking industry, in that they may not be able to compete once the door has been opened.
1) I am not an isolationist, but I do not believe in globalization and I only believe in free-trade in very special circumstances. All that globalization does is level the playing field and even out world economic layout a little. Labour rich countries (China, India) gain a lot and rich countries (the rich elite of those countries) exploit the foreign labour (which makes that foreign country richer in the end) and drain the lower classes of wealth (trade debt to China.) In the end ultra poor nations are still ultra poor. The only change is that China and India will be on or near par with the U.S. and the U.S. will literally be a paper tiger (paper only monetary value.) Globalization is killing off all that is left of this once industrial nation. I must admit that the rich elite are not the only conspirators. Most of us are either through indifference, ignorance or unwillingness to do something. Al Qaeda was stupid to attack us. We'll destroy ourselves soon enough.
2) I do not view Mexico of "THE" nexus of crime, but it certainly is a hub (it ranks pretty high because of its location.)
3) Any Mexican who thinks they are getting a raw deal doesn't know Jack *%#@ about anything. The only people who might lose money on this are some of the Mexico's elites.
4) When did people forget that Mexico "IS" run by the Cartels (or some other form of organized crime.) As are a most impoverished countries.

We do have plenty of border security issues - and not just with Mexico. The trucking program is not a "gross breach of our security"- in and of itself it will not have a significantly negative impact upon the current state of US border security. There are other issues on the border that are far greater vulnerabilities.
Yes, there are bigger vulnerabilities on and away from the border. Still, this is simply opening up more and making it a lot easier.

All I was saying about Iran, Syria and Venezuela is that all we are doing is making it so they do not have to attack us directly. Simply supporting our criminal element would most likely be more effective than any terrorist plot they could initiate. Perhaps they don't have the will or creativity to do so, but I know its sure as hell how I'd do it. The death of a 1000 paper cuts.

Sorry about the length and the Soapbox.