Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vietnam Memorials Defaced

Default Vietnam Memorials Defaced

Sometime on Friday night someone defaced The Wall with an oily substance that Park Officials believe may have permanently damaged the stone. I can't believe this hasn't been covered in the media. It's a damned shame.

Blog Entry 1

Blog Entry 2

Free Republic Entry

video

Last week in North Andover, MA, someone defaced the Vietnam Memorial in that town as well.
    Example is better than precept.

I could see myself losing all manner of restraint if I saw that happening.

Council Member

Default No Decency

Don't worry the cops would look the other way.

What is wrong with people? Is there no decency. There is no excuse for these actions. These monuments are for men who fought, and many died, and it doesn't matter whether or not you feel the war was just. It doesn't matter, these men deserve at the very least our respect and gratitude.

I'm conflicted. If they get caught nothing much will happen, just a few hours community service and people will make excuses for them. At least if they are faceless assailants no one will be able to make excuse for them.

I can't believe this hasn't been covered in the media. It's a damned shame.
    What do you expect, all they care about is ratings. Look at most of America, (regardless of political position) they might notice this in passing but time and time again they've shown more interest in celebrities than in the lives of the men and women who have and do fight for their freedom and protect them. We don't fund veterans benefits, we have veterans from Korea and Vietnam who've been on the streets for 40 years and people pretend they give a damn.

Sorry, this just hit a nerve. I live near a very left leaning college (although I've notice this is getting universal these days) and I'm tired of seeing these rich preppies in their brand new cars daddy bought them (often Saab's like you referred too in the other thread) covered with every anti-war slogan and support the troops sticker they can find. They really believe they care. Yet they can't take 2 seconds to hold a door for an 80 year veteran (let alone anyone that age) with a walker instead of squeezing through just ahead to avoid a delay in their hectic schedule. They're just too busy enjoying the "college experience." Disrespectful brats!

Look, I come from a pretty liberal (old fashioned not this leftist stuff today) background but I have no idea where this is coming from. It just seems like society is getting more and more self-centered.

I know this is a bit off topic, but somehow I think the two are related.

Adam

(Again, sorry about the ranting. This stuff just gets to me. Sometimes I feel like I'm living in an alien society.)

Shameful... I read about this on Freerepublic.com

Council Member

Default Shame

In 1984 I visited The Wall with my fellow officers of the 13th PSYOP Bn. My service during the war had been in The Pentagon but Mike and Jum were veterans of the 101st ABN. Although Jim had visited the Wall before this was Mike's first visit and I saw a good and strong man moved to tears. Of us all, Jim was the only one who truly empathized with Mike's emotions.

This despicable act of desecration betrays the men who served in that war, both the living and the dead, their families, and all the brave men and women who have fought for their country in all her wars.

What is a fitting punishment for those who would do such an act? Perhaps, compelling them to publicly apolgize individually to each member of the massed ranks of 500 living veterans of that war would give them a sense of the shamefullness of their actions.

JohnT

Council Member

I don't really know what a fitting punishment would be other than some jail time and a hefty fine. Possibly community service in VA hospital or a nursing home for old Vets. Personally I would wrap an Israeli flag around them and drop them off in Tehran. The thought of doing some time for assault is not disturbing but it would be to my wife and family. I can hear my youngest granddaughter asking why is poppa wearing his VFW cap in jail.

It is sad that are people like that out there. I think we should be able to deport them somewhere.

I am worried/disheartened by some out in the blogasphere who are so quick to point a finger at the left/anti-war crowd, not to say I know for sure that they are not responsible, but in my experiences despicable people inhabit all points along the political spectrum. Better to establish the facts and then lay blame instead of trying to do it the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by RTK View Post
    Last week in North Andover, MA, someone defaced the Vietnam Memorial in that town as well.
    I know that monument. Fargin cork soaking barstages.

Andover. That's my home town. And Jay Leno's too. He used to work at the McDonald's on Main St. Perhaps we can get him to monologue on it and get John Nagl on for an encore, too. Or maybe better would be to get the culprits on Letterman, and let Goesh do some stupid human tricks on them. In his VFW cap. "Mommy, what's poppa doing on TV?"

North Andover is the next town over.

Pardon the home town diversion. Not to detract from the primary point...I hope the "reviewing the videotape" is productive. These Vietnam memorial defacing folks need to spend some time in the closed society of a prison yard and see what a little law and order brings to the table. Perhaps someone can help them self-actualize their rights.

=I am worried/disheartened by some out in the blogasphere who are so quick to point a finger at the left/anti-war crowd, not to say I know for sure that they are not responsible, but in my experiences despicable people inhabit all points along the political spectrum. Better to establish the facts and then lay blame instead of trying to do it the other way around.
    I second this sentiment. It is a bit premature to attribute any political philosophy to the perpretators. Let's not turn this into a return of the Symbionese Liberation Army or the Weathermen just yet.

In cases of vandalism around these parts, it is often teenagers with no supervision or intelligence, just engaged in mindless property damage. In a way, it would be more interesting if the local vandals COULD tell the difference between che guevara, carlos the jackal, ho chi minh and benito mussolini. But it is always just a couple of losers with no more motivation than, "Hey, let's go get some beer and irritate people by spraypainting something alot of people will see. Yeah, that would be cool," with no coherent political philosophy at all.
    Last edited by Tacitus; 09-11-2007 at 01:19 PM. Reason: typo
    No signature required, my handshake is good enough.

Council Member

Default - of Chopping Blocks and Axes

Stu-6, I jumped to that conclusion that it was some nut case Lefty in light of General P. and Amb. Crocker being on hand in the general time frame of things. I wouldn't advocate any less punishment for someone with no political leanings V the anti-American type person. My only call for leniency would be if the vandal(s) were certified mentally deranged and even then I would call for electroconvulsive therapy in lieu of traditional meds and counseling.

I'm not trying to pick a fight or trying to be aggressive here but it seems these days the messengers and means of delivery of the message get challenged and not so much the message. This allows for so-called mitigating circumstances and motives of behavior to dilute and detract from the acts and intentions of the perpetrator(s) in question. I find it disheartening that a professional athlete who engages in dog fighting gets mass media attention non-stop yet something like this will get but a fraction of attention.

Punishment:
    After jail and fines.
    1-write a letter of apology to any living relative of all the names on the wall.
    2-Repaint or clean or repair every grave maker at Arlington cemetery.

Council Member

Default Defacing the monument

Does anyone have a link to a news story on this, or has the media not covered it?

Quote Originally Posted by Merv Benson View Post
    Does anyone have a link to a news story on this, or has the media not covered it?
    Merv,

I still have not seen this on any major media outlets.

Vandals feared at memorial - WASHINGTON TIMES, 11 Sep.

The U.S. Park Police are investigating suspected vandalism at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial on the Mall.

Volunteers and National Park Service rangers on Saturday discovered a "light, oily" substance on the memorial's wall panels and the paving stones in front of it, Bill Line, a Park Service spokesman, said yesterday.

The substance, which has not been identified, was spread over an area of about 50 to 60 feet, mostly on the paving stones, Mr. Line said.

Maintenance and preservation staff were working to remove the substance with no permanent damage to the memorial.

Mr. Line could not predict when the cleaning would be completed.

The substance "could have been from a variety of different products," and it is not clear whether it was spread intentionally, said Sgt. Robert LaChance, Park Police spokesman.

"We are investigating to see if there was any criminal act or if it was an accident," Sgt. LaChance said. "We don't have any indication that it was intentional, but we are investigating to see if it's a possibility."

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stu-6 View Post
    It is sad that are people like that out there. I think we should be able to deport them somewhere.

I am worried/disheartened by some out in the blogasphere who are so quick to point a finger at the left/anti-war crowd, not to say I know for sure that they are not responsible, but in my experiences despicable people inhabit all points along the political spectrum. Better to establish the facts and then lay blame instead of trying to do it the other way around.
    I agree, there are despicable people at all points along the political spectrum. The target though lends itself mainly to a specific section of the political spectrum. Although, we shouldn't jump to conclusions. It could have been some really stupid kids. If somebody attacked an anti-war protester, the odds are (if it was not due to a non-political issue) that the perpetrator was not on the same side of the political spectrum. I did jump to a bit of a conclusion in this situation though.

Sorry, I was "politically profiling." LOL

Adam

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by slapout9 View Post
    Punishment:
    After jail and fines.
    1-write a letter of apology to any living relative of all the names on the wall.
    2-Repaint or clean or repair every grave maker at Arlington cemetery.
    You forgot #3.

Clean every public restroom in the greater DC area with a tootbrush. Also, no gloves.

Council Member

If perps are identified, simply publish their names and addresses. Pour encourager les autres.
    He cloaked himself in a veil of impenetrable terminology.

From professionalsoldier<dot>com. I'm not sure who this was sent to.

Subject: RE: Correction on Vietnam Wall Defacement
    Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 10:23:21 -0500

Received this morning. Take care and God bless.

Joe

Correction on Vietnam Wall Defacement

Patriots and Comrades All:

After several attempts, I was able to contact SGT xxxxxxxx
    of the National Park Service (NPS), to check on the facts
    about the defacement of the Vietnam Wall last weekend. He
    explained it was a cleaning accident by a Park Ranger and
    NOT a defacement as was originally reported by the Vietnam
    Veterans of American (VVA). The NPS is regarding this as
    an accident instead of an act of vandalism or terrorism.

Our National Commander Pat xxxxxxxx has the
    direct phone numbers for SGT xxxxxx of the NPS, and can
    verify these facts with him directly. A copy of this
    correction is also being sent the VVA for their follow up
    and verification. My apology for the error, as sometimes
    it is not always possible to reach the NPS immediately.

Any future report of attempted or actual vandalism will
    be verified with the NPS in advance, even if that means a
    significant delay in reporting the incident.

Yours in Patriotism,

Steve C
    Commander
    Region I, MOPH
    NE/Mid-Atlantic USA
    Military Order of the Purple Heart

Here's the video made of damage to the wall. Also, the FReeper said that there are multiple deep, long, vertical scratches/gougesEast Wall Panel 15E and that the Nurses Statue and Brothers statue has been defaced or vandalized also. He will post another video soon.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=SW76Fo-ducU