Thread: Little Advice and Tips please on M4

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Jiffylube for all

Mobil1 synthetic 5w-50 weight motor oil. I suppose any synthetic will work since the multi-viscosity will thicken especially on high temp parts (it won't gum up like peanut butter, just get a little more traction). Also, the synthetic lubes have a higher cook temperature so they won't start smoking as much if you used too much. ie down the barrel/chamber, up into the gas tube and out around the bolt assmbly---and then around your face.

This is coming from a training-only experience viewpoint, I haven't been to Iraq or Afghanistan yet.

1) I've always shot my M16 variants with just a small amount of CLP in the chamber, but keeping wet in the sand is probably the right thing to do.

2) Nope.

3) Sounds good.

4) Yes.

5) Yes. The best way to feed a 9mm mag is to feed it into your duffle bag and leave it there for the rest of the deployment. If you're already crewing an M240 and carrying an M4, your M9 is dead weight.

6) If the firing pin is not fixed, lube it.

7) Keep a spray bottle filled with CLP with you at all times. The M240 is uber reliable, but keep the chamber soaked and you'll never have a problem. Really soak the damn thing. If the chamber is not leaking scalding hot CLP onto your hand during firing, it's too dry. In the rear, make sure the gas regulator is clean and you know how to operate it. (Very important) If you have a fixed gas regulator (this may be an M249 only thing) try to trade it in for a normal one. Make sure to take the bolt all the way apart and clean every little piece. Do all that and you'll never see a misfire. (BTW: all this info goes for the M249 as well.)

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
    This is coming from a training-only experience viewpoint, I haven't been to Iraq or Afghanistan yet.

5) Yes. The best way to feed a 9mm mag is to feed it into your duffle bag and leave it there for the rest of the deployment. If you're already crewing an M240 and carrying an M4, your M9 is dead weight.
    I just wanted to comment on this portion of your post.

While I don't disagree with your assessment, i think it is important to note that decisions on what to carry on a mission should be situational.

For example, I did a month long field op supporting marines, lots of walking in the mountains. I brought my M4 and left the M9.

When I was doing more urban stuff in a hmmwv or NTV (i.e. not having to hump everywhere) we carried our sidearms, yes even my turret guy.

As one of my NCO's used to say, "I'm not gonna die for a lack of shooting back"

my .02

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
    I just wanted to comment on this portion of your post.

While I don't disagree with your assessment, i think it is important to note that decisions on what to carry on a mission should be situational.

For example, I did a month long field op supporting marines, lots of walking in the mountains. I brought my M4 and left the M9.

When I was doing more urban stuff in a hmmwv or NTV (i.e. not having to hump everywhere) we carried our sidearms, yes even my turret guy.

As one of my NCO's used to say, "I'm not gonna die for a lack of shooting back"

my .02

Agreed. There have been times I've been very glad I've had the M9. I'd rather lug the extra weight and not need it than not have it and wish I did. If you maintain it correctly you won't have problems. I brough extra magazine springs. Never had a single issue either year I was in Iraq.

I also used graphite lube for both my M9 and M4. Never had a jam with either, though you need to watch how liberal you apply the graphite to the M9. Graphite, dust, dirt, and grime can build at the bottom of the lower reciever near where the hammer spring recoils. If the dirt, grime, and dust collects enough, the hammer spring won't compress and the slide will not recoil far enough to cycle a round. CLP to loosen the dirt and pipecleaners to take it away works, but if your unit armorer can take out the hammer retaining pin, it makes the process much easier (this is a armorer level job).

BLUF: If you don't clean your weapons at least once a day (twice during shmall season) you're negligent. Weapons maintenance should be the first priority of work after you return from patrol, lest you need to go back out, not going to see what's at the chow hall.
    Last edited by RTK; 09-23-2007 at 11:48 AM.
    Example is better than precept.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by RTK View Post
    Agreed. There have been times I've been very glad I've had the M9. I'd rather lug the extra weight and not need it than not have it and wish I did. If you maintain it correctly you won't have problems. I brough extra magazine springs. Never had a single issue either year I was in Iraq.

I also used graphite lube for both my M9 and M4. Never had a jam with either, though you need to watch how liberal you apply the graphite to the M9. Graphite, dust, dirt, and grime can build at the bottom of the lower reciever near where the hammer spring recoils. If the dirt, grime, and dust collects enough, the hammer spring won't compress and the slide will not recoil far enough to cycle a round. CLP to loosen the dirt and pipecleaners to take it away works, but if your unit armorer can take out the hammer retaining pin, it makes the process much easier (this is a armorer level job).

BLUF: If you don't clean your weapons at least once a day (twice during shmall season) you're negligent. Weapons maintenance should be the first priority of work after you return from patrol, lest you need to go back out, not going to see what's at the chow hall.
    You may want to do some more research on graphite, or dry lubrication in general. It can do a lot of long-term damage to the weapon. I think one of the above links may have more information.

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
    You may want to do some more research on graphite, or dry lubrication in general. It can do a lot of long-term damage to the weapon. I think one of the above links may have more information.
    For what it's worth, I use it on my personel weapons and it worked well with my weapons in both OIF I and OIF III. Haven't had a problem with it after 7 years of use.
    Example is better than precept.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by RTK View Post
    For what it's worth, I use it on my personel weapons and it worked well with my weapons in both OIF I and OIF III. Haven't had a problem with it after 7 years of use.

I used graphite during OEF I and had no problems. I know many guys that still use it.

But, I have heard that dry lubricants such as graphite won't fill the disparities in the metal and will not coat as well as "wet" lubes. Thus causing more long term wear and tear on the weapon.

I'm having trouble finding any good information one way or the other on the web. The biggest debate seems to be between Militec and CLP, not really any scholarly articles or research on graphite.

I'm not a chemist, but it kinda made sense to me that a "dry" lubricant wouldn't work quite as well as a "wet" one.