Thread: Little Advice and Tips please on M4

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Graphite is highly reactive with aluminum, especially 7075 aluminum, which is what the lower receiver of your M4 and M9 is made of. Sucks to be the guy who gets the gun after you, I guess.

Lubricants perform 3 functions. First, they overcome friction. Second, they cool moving parts. Third, they reduce wear and jams by emulsifying foreign matter, and allow moving close clearance parts to "wipe" it off those parts.

Dry lubricants can ONLY do #1. They are worthless at #2 and #3.

There are a couple of good tests out there that show that proper (meaning liberal wet lube) lubrication combined with minimal soldier skills very nearly eliminates malfunctions and abnormal wear on the M16/M4. The DTIC ran one during the development of the M16E2, and there was another one last year, which my good friend (sarcasm) Matthew Cox reported on in The Army Times.

Sorry if I call bull#### on the anecdotal, "But I used weasel ####, and so do all my friends" post, but it is just that, an anecdote.

Here's a link to some lube info: www.m4carbine.net

Corrosion data on graphite v. aluminum is common mechanical knowledge and is readily available on the web. I would look up some links, but why don't YOU do the work and look up links that prove that I'm wrong, instead....
    Last edited by 120mm; 10-03-2007 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Additional venom needed