Thread: Resettlement Villages as a possible solution for the Iraqi IDP and Refugee Crisis.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Troufion, this goes to measures of Strategic MOE (Measures of Effect) one of the most telling measures of security is that people are voting with their FEET. If they have the means to leave they do. If you can pull them back that is a Strategic MOE that you are gaining the hearts and minds of the populace. They are starting to trust their government, which is why the refugees are a problem that can be turned into an opportunity as you have suggested. The refugees are definitely your target market.

Iraq is a single product country...Oil. In that respect every job either directly or indirectly will be tied to this, so to reiterate my point that the villages must be tied to some kind of an economic Center of Gravity for their long term viability. If this is done the kind of housing that they start with isn't going to matter that much because they will have the money to change it later on as they see fit. So your idea of safe container cities would be an easier sell because it is just a safe,clean,secure start point.
    Last edited by slapout9; 09-12-2007 at 03:23 PM. Reason: fix stuff

Council Member

Thanks for the update, Tequila. It has been a few years since I've been on the Rez up there. I had presumed the surge of cash and services that was supposed to go to reservations had dramatically altered things, maybe even bringing unemployment down to the 30% levels of pre-WW1 and getting a fire truck or two, a few ambulances, maybe even a doctor or two - things like that. That assessment you provided could probably be applied to resettlement villages a few years down the line. In lieu of an estimated 80% alcoholism rate mentioned in your quote, substitute the word insurgency and there you have it, a Rez without American Indians, IMO.

Default Iraqi refugees to the US or get them to go back?

I address this situation as it as been brought up in all the Petreaus-Crocker Senate and House testamonies, the President mentioned it, and becuase the crisis is also an opportunity for the US. Below is a story from NPR that hits the crisis pretty well and fairly current. 1.5-2 million refugees, and several thousand coming to the States. Wouldn't it be better to build safe and secure housing for them in Iraq? The cost tends to be a question but as I've found in the research the Syrians and Jordanians who have the bulk of the refugees are willing to pay and looking for help. If we the US could get the Saudis and Kuwaitis to kick in cash, the US systems of PRT's, Contractors and Military forces could resttle these folks quickly and effectively. -T

"Syria and Jordan are appealing for help in dealing with a refugee crisis from Iraq, where more than 2 million people have left the country.

The United States has pledged to bring in about 7,000 Iraqi refugees this year, but has yet to come even close to that number. Members of Congress are getting frustrated with the slow pace of admissions — particularly for Iraqis targeted because of their association with the Americans."

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=12334759

Default Resettlement Villages not Reservations

I dont necessarily see the connection, though I do see the need to NOT do the same things that followed in reservations. The resettlement should be voluntary. This is why I push prefab housing, it could be modern , clean, the village would have its own POWER grid-meaning AC, Lights, and running CLEAN water. Prefab laundry facilites, a community center with an AUDIO VISUAL suite and satelite tv capacity, cellular phone repeater, etc.

I know you say no way to costly. I once again offer Syria as the test. Syria estimates 1 Billion to pay for one year of current refugee support. 1 Billion buys a lot of prefab buildings and amenites. A village of 100 homes a community center, police station/barracks, clinic, laundry, with power and water treatment laid out on concrete slabs, with a paved or gravel road net, and perhaps a protective chain link fence (approximatley 130-150 buildings) with delivery and installation would cost in the realm of (this is a swag for argument sake). 20 Million US. The BILLION dollars from Syria would go a long way to building these Villages.