Thread: Resettlement Villages as a possible solution for the Iraqi IDP and Refugee Crisis.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Good Problem to consider

The model village would be organized on a frame of one hundred families in one hundred single family homes, an Iraqi security force detachment, a volunteer civil guard from within the families and an elected town council from which a mayor and police chief would be drawn. The town would be built around a community center with both elementary and primary school facilities, be provided a medical clinic, power generator, water purifier and sanitation facility. These villages could be established quickly and efficiently by the use of prefab containerized housing units.

Containerized housing has been utilized for U.S. military base housing in expeditionary areas, but has also been utilized by universities and private groups’ world wide. The advantage is that the villages can be constructed, including the power, water, medical, schools and community center in safety outside Iraq. These prefabs can then be loaded on container ships and brought to Kuwait where they can be offloaded and driven via truck to the designated sites. While this would involve a large number of convoys the number would most likely be less than that necessary to construct the same number of villages in a more traditional manner.
    Troufion,
    I'm not sure how much thought has been been directed toward resettlement of IDPs - I do know its been pointed out as a source of instability in the region as neighboring states, and even within the more stables regions within Iraq, as those people are absorbed in some capacity.

We (the very big macro "we") should be considering - when the best time for this to happen might be, how the best way(s) to do this might be, how this might impact other lines of operation, and who should be driving the train on this?

I think we also have to understand that no matter where these DPs ultimately go back to there are cultural factors and cultural patterns that will influence the process and have long term consequences - many of these people that have fled will be caught up in a kind of time warp since they have become separated from their home environment.

I follow your logic of the "containerized modular village", but I'd offer that this might be a costly solution that can not be sustained in the cultural and physical environment at hand. A modified idea might be to pursue improving the camps and working within them to resolve issues surrounding repatriation - such as reuniting kinsmen, getting a better sense of demographics and cultural lines, providing some education that allows faster integration once repatriated, etc. At the same time working within the Iraqi government to plan the reintroduction from the associated logistical challenges to the social implications. A course of action like this might forecast infrastructure needs and even generate economic opportunities by considering where to establish new factories, build new homes, improve and expand utilities, consider emergency services, etc.

Whatever the solution may be, it must involve the local, provincial and national government in order to account for the role of government and allocation of resources. If the echelons of government do not have an accurate reflection of who they are government, they will have a hard time executing the responsibilities of government.

Best Regards, Rob
    Last edited by Rob Thornton; 09-11-2007 at 11:19 PM.

Troufion, man I just love this, this is some strategic mofooking stuff you got. Being a member of the old Fokker's battalion I can tell you that something like this was done in Germany after WW2. A little different but they put up Quonset huts with coal burning stoves and some of the first chemical toilets ever made. They dropped them off in some of the bombed out cities and people lived in them while they rebuilt the actual city with funds from the Marshall plan.

This is also similar to the Enclave Strategy that General Gavin and others were pushing for during the Senator Fullbright hearings on Vietnam in 1966. It was different from the Strategic Hamlet program in the since that they were going to build fortified enclaves from US1 to the coast of Vietnam which is where most of the population was.

I also think that any program like this must be tied to economic viability otherwise it will be a long term financial drain which could end up causing another relocation to be near their jobs. One option maybe to build them along the Oil pipeline infrastructure since pretty much all jobs will be tied to Oil production some way. It would also be a good way to protect the infrastructure. Protect your on rice bowl so to speak. More later.