One thing I was struck by during the testimony was the breadth of Ambassador Crocker's testimony. Based on the depth of his answers in terms of articulating the complex situation in Iraq, domestic, regional and inter-national factors and short & long term consequences - my understanding of roles and responsibilities was altered.

My previous understanding was that most country diplomatic missions have a kind of bi-lateral focus, although regional desks and the COCOM's political officer would seem to need a broader scope. With the testimony, I saw a very complimentary partnership between the military and diplomatic corps. While both men were able to articulate each other's position to a great degree, the manner in which they presented the argument provided additional context - it was a kind of soldier/statesman - statesman/soldier blend. The relationship they described with regard to day to day operations & leadership - may be one of the most mature I've ever seen, read about or heard of. Putting these two men together was only pat of the solution - the individual commitment required to rise above organizational culture and solve the problem had to come from within.

I'm not writing this to play cheer leader for anybody. I am using this as a vehicle to explore the question of Inter-Agency leadership and the role it will play in this increasingly complex environment where because of the inter-relationship between reaction & consequences (often on a regional and global scale) there are no easy answers.

Is this a model for leadership we should consider for future command structures where the other elements of national power - MIDLIFE or DIME-FIL may require balance or proportionality? I think our previous models have been correct for the questions of conflict termination, but what about prevention and resolution? What are the consequences of change (good or bad)?

I'd also consider:

What are the tools of diplomacy & what are their limitations or benefits? Are the tools adequate to the environment we face? The question of a new G/N act is fair game I guess, although their are serious impediments to getting there - but what about how a co-operative CMD structure like we see demonstrated might bridge the gap?

Best Regards, Rob