Thread: New Interagency COIN Manual

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

A couple of points:

The interagency "manual" isn't a manual, it is a guide. the guide serves as an educational tool. It's focus is to educate senior policy makers on the civilian side of government as to what COIN is, what tools are available, and some very generic best practices. The success of this document should be viewed in the light that you got action officers from every agency in one room on a regular basis, and they put this thing together, and the higher ups in the different departments are going to potentially agree on it (it ain't published yet).

3-24 vs 3-0. At Leavenworth they are teaching both. The long pole in the tent appears to be how to operationalize 3-24 concepts with 3-0 tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    3-24 vs 3-0. At Leavenworth they are teaching both. The long pole in the tent appears to be how to operationalize 3-24 concepts with 3-0 tools.
    I rest my case

At the small unit and tactical level, I'd argue (hurry up jcustis, I need you) that MCIP 3-33.01, Small-Unit Leader's Guide to Counterinsurgency, is much more appropriate when coupled with the appropriate troop or platoon level FM and ARTEP.
    Example is better than precept.