I wore 3B body armor most of my career in law enforcement. When I took it off in 1993 I weighed it and it came in at a cool 15 lbs. Before that I didn't want to know. The funny thing is that the three primary traumas I would likely get in a corrections setting were slash, stab, blunt force and the armor didn't protect against that. Stabbed in the hand (By a hypodermic needle, slashed across the stomach just below the armor by a shank) are just two times body armor didn't do its job. In both of my particular cases the armor slowed me down and had I not been wearing it I would likely have not gotten hurt. But, that also doesn't mean the assailant might not have tried something else.

I know that Law Enforcement and MOUT are not the same, but there is a lot of technologies and decision trees that law enforcement has perfected that might benefit the military. I for one think that is a better direction for ideas to go then all of the pseudo military SWAT pajamas, high power assault rifles (in a city?) and tanks that cops have been buying to look more like the military.